* Split on recipients from "white" list
@ 2002-07-01 14:35 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2002-07-01 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

One effective way of cutting down on spam is to filter out all
messages that are not addressed to one of my personal e-mail
addresses, or to a list to which I subscribe.  So, I'd like to make a
"white" list of all of the legitimate addresses through which I
receive e-mail, and put anything that's not sent to one of those
addresses into a "probable spam" folder.

I realize this is not foolproof, since I will get some spam which *is*
addressed to me, and messages on which I'm bcc'ed will be filed as
spam.  Still, it's a pretty good first order approximation.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

Thanks,

-pd

--
--------
                             Peter Davis

* Re: Split on recipients from "white" list
@ 2002-07-01 15:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-01 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:

> One effective way of cutting down on spam is to filter out all
> messages that are not addressed to one of my personal e-mail
> addresses, or to a list to which I subscribe.  So, I'd like to make a
> "white" list of all of the legitimate addresses through which I
> receive e-mail, and put anything that's not sent to one of those
> addresses into a "probable spam" folder.

What's the problem?

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("mail.legit" "^\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*my-address")
        ("mail.spam" "")))

I think you want to set nnmail-crosspost to nil, too.

kai

* Re: Split on recipients from "white" list
@ 2002-07-01 15:35 ` Dirk Bernhardt
From: Dirk Bernhardt @ 2002-07-01 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:

> Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(|
	;; whitelist
	(from "white1@yahoo.com" "mail.misc")
	(from "white2@yahoo.com" "mail.misc")
	(from "white3@yahoo.com" "mail.misc")
	(from "white4@yahoo.com" "mail.misc")
	(from "white5@yahoo.com" "mail.misc")
	(from "white6@yahoo.com" "mail.misc")

        ; mail to me is ok
	(any "my@email.address"  "mail.misc")
	"spam"))

I suggest you rather use a combination of spamassassin.org's procmail
filter and some procmail recipes like these:

	| egrep -is -f $HOME/Mail/proc.lists
IN.list

#---------------------------------------------------------------
# SPAM
#---------------------------------------------------------------

#----------------------------------
# SpamAssassin
#----------------------------------
:0fw
| $HOME/opt/SpamAssassin/spamassassin -P -c $HOME/opt/SpamAssassin/rules

:0:
IN.spam

#----------------------------------
# blacklist
#----------------------------------
:0w:
* ? formail -x"From:" -x"From" -x"Sender:" \
	| egrep -is -f $HOME/Mail/proc.blacklist
| formail -i "X-Spam-Status: Yes (blacklist)" | gzip - >> IN.blacklist.gz

#----------------------------------
# not to me at all?
#----------------------------------
:0w:
* !^(To|Cc):.*my@email.address
| formail -i "X-Spam-Status: Yes (not-to-me)" >> IN.spam

#----------------------------------
# Russisch, Koreanisch, ...
#----------------------------------
# packt ab 10% komische Zeichen im Body
# I want to adjust the percentage where the filter is tripped.  change
# all occurences of "20" to 1/(your ratio). For instance
# * 1/(.05) gave 20 for this filter
# * 4% uses 1/(.04) = 25
# * 3% uses 1/(.03) = 33
# * 6% uses 1/(.06) = 17
# * 10% uses 1/(.10) = 10

:0BD
*  -1^1 .
*   2^1 =[0-9A-F][0-9A-F]
*  10^1 [ÀÁÂÃÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕ×ØÙÚÛÝÞ]
*  10^1 [àáâãåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõ÷øùúûýþÿ]
*  10^1 =[A-F][0-9A-F]
* -10^1 =(E4|F6|FC|DF|C4|D6|DC)
| formail -i "X-Spam-Status: Yes (Chinese)" >> IN.spam

HTH,
Krid