* Re: format=flowed
       [not found] <yxdzn8pe3dk.fsf@cs1.gmu.edu>
@ 2004-05-03 19:44 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-05-03 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Myriam Abramson <mabramso@cs1.gmu.edu> writes:

> how can I handle messages with format=flowed in the Content-type?

By upgrading -- Gnus 5.10 supports format=flowed.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>

* Re: format=flowed
@ 2011-01-02 10:49       ` Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2011-01-02 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 08:53:25 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@users.sf.net> writes:
>
>> (use-hard-newlines) looks a relic from the past (emacs 22), when
>> word-wrap didn't exist and long-lines-mode was required.
>
> `use-hard-newlines' hasn't been obsoleted, so I'm not sure why you thing
> it's a relic...

`longlines-mode' hasn't either, but you can now use a combination of
`truncate-lines' and `word-wrap' to avoid both (though I agree that
use-hard-newlines is *still* useful when editing pre-formatted
content).

* Re: format=flowed
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3.1293209272.7272.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-02  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2010-12-24 16:47   ` Yuri D'Elia
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3.1293209272.7272.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2010-12-24 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:46:16 +0100, Ralf Soergel wrote:
>> but it doesn't. Is there a reason as of why use-hard-newlines is
>> required? Wouldn't be enough to check if there's any line longer than 80
>> and use format=flowed automatically?
>
> I've the fill-adapt-minor-mode in effect. The help says, the fill
> functions insert soft linebreaks only if use-hard-newlines is in
> effect. But I find out the fill functions had inserted hard
> linebreaks, in result the sended message has only hard newlines in
> it. Because of this for the recipient's system was every linebreak a
> new paragraph, displayed with an empty line before.

Ok, I was able to make it work, when sending a message, by doing:

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
  (lambda ()
    (auto-fill-mode -1) ;; turn off auto-fill if enabled
    (setq truncate-lines nil
          word-wrap t)
    (use-hard-newlines)))

>> Then, when decoding a flowed message, soft-newlines aren't
>> restored. Again, I would like to use truncate-lines/word-wrap here (new
>> in emacs 23 if I remember correctly).
>
> Are you sure, the flowed message is encoded correctly?
> You should verify the raw text.

It is...

>> Is it possible?
>
> I've give up this mode ...

(use-hard-newlines) looks a relic from the past (emacs 22), when
word-wrap didn't exist and long-lines-mode was required.

Maybe some Gnus developer is reading this? Should I submit a bug/feature
request somewhere?

* Re: format=flowed
       [not found] <mailman.6.1292886040.3394.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-22 20:46 ` Ralf Soergel
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3.1293209272.7272.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ralf Soergel @ 2010-12-22 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@users.sf.net> writes:

> I'm trying to make use of the format=flowed support in GNUS, but it's
> not working the way I intend it to.

I've tried too, but without success.

> I was hoping that setting the message buffer with the native word-wrap
> support would work:
>
> (setq truncate-lines t
>       word-wrap t)
>
> but it doesn't. Is there a reason as of why use-hard-newlines is
> required? Wouldn't be enough to check if there's any line longer than 80
> and use format=flowed automatically?

I've the fill-adapt-minor-mode in effect. The help says, the fill
functions insert soft linebreaks only if use-hard-newlines is in
effect. But I find out the fill functions had inserted hard
linebreaks, in result the sended message has only hard newlines in
it. Because of this for the recipient's system was every linebreak a
new paragraph, displayed with an empty line before.

> Then, when decoding a flowed message, soft-newlines aren't
> restored. Again, I would like to use truncate-lines/word-wrap here (new
> in emacs 23 if I remember correctly).

Are you sure, the flowed message is encoded correctly?
You should verify the raw text.

> Is it possible?

I've give up this mode ...

kind regards
Ralf

--
Linux is like a wigwam: no Windows, no Gates, Apache inside

* format=flowed
@ 2010-12-20 23:00 Yuri D'Elia