* Re: Weird behavior of nnimap email
       [not found] <m3d68t4gku.fsf@zeus.ece.cmu.edu>
@ 2004-02-06 16:04 ` Klaus Uhl
From: Klaus Uhl @ 2004-02-06 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

nospam@nospam.com writes:

> It seems that sometimes gnus does not display all the email in my nnimap
> folder. Even when I use "C-u enter" to display all the mails in that group,
> I can still see that some mails are missing when comparing the list using
> pine.
>
> On the other hand, for some emails, also gnus does display them in the
> summary buffer, when I select, it says that the mail is gone (either expired
> or deleted). But again, in pine, it can be displayed without any problem.
>
> I am not sure what caused this problem. (I tried both gnus-5.10.6 and
> ngnus-0.1 and got the same problem.)

I had a similar problem wile I moved my mail from nnfolder to
nnimap. I had deleted several messages in a nnimap folder but Gnus
insisted in showing them anyway.

It turned out to be a problem with the Gnus agent. I could resolve the
problem by simply deleting the News/agent/nnimap folder so that Gnus
was forced to reread the complete contents of my mailboxes from the
IMAP server.

Maybe such a brute force "hack" resolves your problem too.

> Could you gurus please help me out?

I would not consider me a guru but if my tip helps it's for good
anyway, I think ;-).

-- Klaus

--

                 God is real ...
\|/ ____ \|/     ... unless declared integer.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Weird behavior of nnimap email
@ 2004-02-06 17:03   ` nospam
From: nospam @ 2004-02-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Uhl <news@u-h-l.de> writes:

> nospam@nospam.com writes:
>
>> It seems that sometimes gnus does not display all the email in my nnimap
>> folder. Even when I use "C-u enter" to display all the mails in that group,
>> I can still see that some mails are missing when comparing the list using
>> pine.
>>
>> On the other hand, for some emails, also gnus does display them in the
>> summary buffer, when I select, it says that the mail is gone (either expired
>> or deleted). But again, in pine, it can be displayed without any problem.
>>
>> I am not sure what caused this problem. (I tried both gnus-5.10.6 and
>> ngnus-0.1 and got the same problem.)
>
> I had a similar problem wile I moved my mail from nnfolder to
> nnimap. I had deleted several messages in a nnimap folder but Gnus
> insisted in showing them anyway.
>
> It turned out to be a problem with the Gnus agent. I could resolve the
> problem by simply deleting the News/agent/nnimap folder so that Gnus
> was forced to reread the complete contents of my mailboxes from the
> IMAP server.
>
> Maybe such a brute force "hack" resolves your problem too.

You are totally right. After removing that, everything works fine now.

>> Could you gurus please help me out?
>
> I would not consider me a guru but if my tip helps it's for good
> anyway, I think ;-).

Thanks a lot. Yes, you are a guru. :)

@ 2004-02-09 23:14     ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-02-09 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

nospam@nospam.com writes:

> Klaus Uhl <news@u-h-l.de> writes:
>
>> nospam@nospam.com writes:
>>
>>> It seems that sometimes gnus does not display all the email in my nnimap
>>> folder. Even when I use "C-u enter" to display all the mails in that group,
>>> I can still see that some mails are missing when comparing the list using
>>> pine.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, for some emails, also gnus does display them in the
>>> summary buffer, when I select, it says that the mail is gone (either expired
>>> or deleted). But again, in pine, it can be displayed without any problem.
>>>
>>> I am not sure what caused this problem. (I tried both gnus-5.10.6 and
>>> ngnus-0.1 and got the same problem.)
>>
>> I had a similar problem wile I moved my mail from nnfolder to
>> nnimap. I had deleted several messages in a nnimap folder but Gnus
>> insisted in showing them anyway.
>>
>> It turned out to be a problem with the Gnus agent. I could resolve the
>> problem by simply deleting the News/agent/nnimap folder so that Gnus
>> was forced to reread the complete contents of my mailboxes from the
>> IMAP server.
>>
>> Maybe such a brute force "hack" resolves your problem too.
>>

> You are totally right. After removing that, everything works fine now.

Could either of you explain what you did to get the agent out of sync?
For example, exactly how was mail moved from nnfolder to nnimap?
Also, if this problem re-occurs, I'd appreciate knowing whether
gnus-agent-regenerate-group fixes the problem without having to delete
the agent folder.

Kevin