From: "Mats Löfdahl" <xyzzy@chello.se>
Subject: Re: Two IMAP problems
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:01:59 +0200	[thread overview]

> Mats Löfdahl <xyzzy@chello.se> writes:
>
>> I've recently started trying imap in Gnus 5.10 with the following
>> setup:
>>
>> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>       '((nnimap "astro"
>> 		(nnimap-address "xxx.xxx.xxx")
>> 		(nnimap-server-port 993)
>> 		(nnimap-stream ssl)
>> 		)
>> 	(nntp "news.chello.se")
>> 	(nntp "news.cis.dfn.de")
>> 	))
>>

>> I have two problems:
>>
>> I.
>>
>> When nnimap-authinfo-file is ~/.authinfo (the default), Gnus still
>> asks me for the login name and password.  The item in ~/.authinfo is
>> on the form:
>>
>> machine xxx.xxx.xxx login xxx password xxx
>
> Does adding 'port 993' help?

Yes! Thank you! So for some reason it doesn't pick up the port info
from gnus-secondary-select-methods.

> Unfortunately, and despite the custom type, [the inline format] of
> nnimap-authinfo-file is not supported.

Oh. I was wondering why I hadn't seen the inline format mentioned in
the manual...

>> II.
>>
>> If I use the former method, which lets me access the imap server
>> after providing the login info at startup, then I don't seem to be
>> able to manipulate the contents on the server from Gnus. New mail
>> is delivered fine and I can read them, but I can't edit messages or
>> create new groups on the server.
>
> The IMAP protocol does not support editing of messages.

Oh. That's a real drawback, isn't it? Not that I edit the contents of
messages very much. But I often want to repair threads with "T ^",
which does not seem to be possible, then.

> You should be able to create new groups though.  Perhaps your server
> require the groups to be named 'INBOX.foo' instead of just 'foo'
> though?

Yes, that was it! Thank you.

Hm. I guess I'll want to find a way to manipulate the group buffer so
something like "imap:" or "xxx:" is substituted for the ugly
"nnimap+xxx:INBOX." part.

>> Also, deleted messages don't seem to disappear from the server, which
>> might be another symptom of the same problem, since the default
>> setting of nnimap-expunge-on-close is supposed to be "always".  I now
>> have several weeks' worth of spam in my imap INBOX...
>
> Are you accessing the group normally, via the main group buffer?
> I.e., not via the server buffer or as a foreign group?  If so, try
> (setq imap-log t) and quote the contents generated in the *imap-log*
> buffer by pressing 'q' in the summary buffer for INBOX.  Perhaps there
> is a error message somehow.

I turned on  imap-log, entered INBOX, deleted two messages, and
pressed q to exit the group. Here is the contents of *imap-log*:

   17 UID SEARCH UID 821:837,969,971:972,974:979,981:999,1009:1010,1013:1014,1017 NOT SINCE 31-Aug-2003
   * SEARCH
   17 OK SEARCH done.
   18 UID STORE 1025:1026 +FLAGS (\Seen)
   * 1011 FETCH (UID 1025 FLAGS (\Seen \Recent))
   * 1012 FETCH (UID 1026 FLAGS (\Seen \Recent))
   18 OK STORE completed.
   19 STATUS "INBOX" (unseen)
   * STATUS "INBOX" (UNSEEN 15)
   19 OK STATUS Completed.
   20 EXPUNGE
   20 OK EXPUNGE completed

I see no error messages and it even says that it's done expunging. But
the deleted messages are still there. They are marked "Y" when I enter
the group again with "C-u SPC".

(Don't know what the "NOT SINCE 31-Aug-2003" means. I'd entered that
group both yesterday and earlier today.)

--
Mats Löfdahl