* Re: Best Python Editor (under Linux)
       [not found]             ` <p2re1vgd9c077mi7cpgjh3o7itsgnogoia@4ax.com>
@ 2003-01-04  6:09               ` Dave Cole
       [not found]               ` <m3isx5v424.fsf@ferret.object-craft.com.au>
From: Dave Cole @ 2003-01-04  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

faust>  Erik Max Francis <max@alcyone.com> , emitted these fragments:
>> It's also possible there are different metrics for "learning curve"
>> being used here.  If you were to insist that learning curve apply
>> to _all_ of emacs' features, then yes, obviously it has a massive
>> learning curve simply because there are so many.

faust> Good point.

faust> I use emacs as my only editor.  I use emacs eshell as my only
faust> commandshell ( when in XP or NT ) I use emacs calc as my sole
faust> calculator I use emacs calendar as my sole calendar.

faust> However, I am not familiar enough with gnus to use it as my
faust> sole email and news reader.

faust> Some day, when I have learned enough about gnus, I hope to do
faust> so....

Gnus is a pain in the freckle to set up, but once you have it going it
can't be beat.  Assuming of course you are already an Emacs user.  If
you do give Gnus another go, make sure you try using bbdb (big brother
database) with it.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au

* Re: Best Python Editor (under Linux)
       [not found]                 ` <yzsd6n8kd4f.fsf@ericsson.com>
@ 2003-01-07 20:48                   ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2003-01-07 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07 Jan 2003, shyamal.prasad@ericsson.com wrote:
>     "Dave" == Dave Cole <djc@object-craft.com.au> writes:
>
>     Dave> Gnus is a pain in the freckle to set up, but once you
>     Dave> have it going it can't be beat.  Assuming of course
>     Dave> you are already an Emacs user.  If you do give Gnus
>     Dave> another go, make sure you try using bbdb (big brother
>     Dave> database) with it.
>
> I've been using Gnus as my mail reader for almost 3 years
> now. What does bbdb give? I'm very curious.....

I just added you to my bbdb by hitting `:' in the summary
buffer.  Here is what your entry looks like, new.

Shyamal Prasad
            net: shyamal.prasad@ericsson.com
  creation-date: 07 Jan 2003
      timestamp: 07 Jan 2003
          notes: He asked about the BBDB so I gave him a quick example.

If I need to find you, I can then do it with many global searches
(Here are some examples) First, do M-x bbdb to get to the *BBDB*
buffer.  Now, the following 4 searches across the BBDB (kicked
off by `b') will find at least you.

    1) shy
    2) sad
    3) eric
    4) asked

Being able to quickly search across the entire kit-n-kaboodle is
quite nice.

Now, what if I narrow my search to the notes field?  `S o'
prompts me for what type of "note" field to search and then I get
hits across the entire kit-n-kaboodle, but on a particular notes
field.

Entering and maintaining the BBDB is also quite nice.

Window configurations so the BBDB follows your news/mail reading
is quite nice

... is quite nice.
--
Galen Boyer