* Re: Gnus dying on malformed email
       [not found] <m3oeu0c6fm.fsf@dishaw.org>
@ 2003-12-23 16:35 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-12-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Dishaw <jdishaw@att.net> writes:

> Specifically, Gnus is dying in pop3-munge-message-separator when
> handling a message with an empty "Date" field (see message excerpt
> below).  The pop3-munge-message-separator raises the
> "wrong-type-argument stringp nil" signal.

Please do `M-x toggle-debug-on-error' and send the resulting
backtrace.

* Re: Gnus dying on malformed email
@ 2003-12-24  4:36   ` Jim Dishaw
From: Jim Dishaw @ 2003-12-24  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Jim Dishaw <jdishaw@att.net> writes:
>
> > Specifically, Gnus is dying in pop3-munge-message-separator when
> > handling a message with an empty "Date" field (see message excerpt
> > below).  The pop3-munge-message-separator raises the
> > "wrong-type-argument stringp nil" signal.
>
> Please do `M-x toggle-debug-on-error' and send the resulting
> backtrace.

If I get another malformed message I will post a followup with the
backtrace; however, the backtrace was basically useless.  I had to debug
on entry, step through mail-source-fetch, and set pop3-debug to locate
the problem in pop3-munge-message-separator.

-jd

* Re: Gnus dying on malformed email
@ 2003-12-24 14:16     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-12-24 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Dishaw <jdishaw@att.net> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> Jim Dishaw <jdishaw@att.net> writes:
>>
>> > Specifically, Gnus is dying in pop3-munge-message-separator when
>> > handling a message with an empty "Date" field (see message
>> > excerpt below).
>>
>> Please do `M-x toggle-debug-on-error' and send the resulting
>> backtrace.
>
> If I get another malformed message I will post a followup with the
> backtrace;

FWIW, I did this:

I copied your excerpt to a buffer, *temp*, and evalled the following:

(with-current-buffer "*temp*"
  (pop3-munge-message-separator))

which didn't give me an error.  Can you reproduce the error with this
procedure?

> however, the backtrace was basically useless.

Try `M-x edebug-defun', then you can single-step through the function
when it's invoked.

@ 2003-12-23 15:31 ` Thomas A. Horsley
From: Thomas A. Horsley @ 2003-12-23 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't have any thoughts, but I see GNUS die on stuff like this all the
time. I've also seen it puke because the mime separators didn't match and my
biggest irritation is when I attempt to forward some spam to an abuse
address, it asks me (usually about 3 times) what "encoding" it is. Cripes!
How the hell should I know what encoding it is? Those bytes that you
downloaded from the POP server - those are the bytes I want to forward for
gosh sakes - what the hell difference does it make what encoding it is?
--
      email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL      |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+