* Re: randomsig.el and Random Signatures
       [not found] <87u1btouvk.fsf@cecilia.trollope.org>
@ 2003-05-18  8:07 ` Andrew Markebo
       [not found] ` <xtzy913bagk.fsf@dataman.informatik.uni-bremen.de>
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2003-05-18  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Not really an answer to your question, but it is how I do random
sigs..

(defvar grc-signature-dir   "~/.sigs/")
(defvar grc-signature-base  "sig")

(defadvice message-insert-signature (before random-mail-sig-ag act comp)
  "Change the value of message-signature-file each time
`message-insert-signature' is called."
  (let ((files (file-name-all-completions
                grc-signature-base (expand-file-name grc-signature-dir))))
    (if files (let ((file (nth (random (length files)) files)))
                (setq message-signature-file (concat grc-signature-dir file))
                ))))

Here it randomly picks the contents of a file whose name begins with
"sig" from the subdir "~/.sigs/"..

      /Andy

--
 Everything that was magical was just a way of describing the world in
words it couldn't ignore.

@ 2003-05-19 18:07   ` Hans-Juergen Ficker
From: Hans-Juergen Ficker @ 2003-05-19 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Büsching <crunchy@tzi.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Michael Powe <michael@trollope.org> wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> when i try to use randomsig.el via my .gnus, i receive the following
>> error:
>>
>> gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: (void-variable --=-=-=)
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Could it be that you have a file called ~/.signatures/default and that
> the string '--=-=-=' is in there?

Unlikely. The signature files are not evaluated as lisp files. I
think (like Kai), that either there is a --=-=-= in randomsig.el[1],
or that string is in any file loaded/required from randomsig.el.

Hmm..., the only library required is cl, and I think it's *really*
unlikely, that cl is damaged[2].

@Michael:
Could you please check with M-x locate-library RET randomsig RET, if
the right randomsig is found, and it doesn't contain --=-=-=?

Best regards,
    Hans-Jürgen

Footnotes:
[1]  which probably means, you use an old version, because I last
     used a mime attachment in version 0.6.0 in gnu.emacs.sources

[2]  Many things will not run without it.

--
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
                -- Groucho Marx