* Re: Checking mail
       [not found] <m3k6qwk7vl.fsf@ceres.staly.plus.com>
@ 2005-01-02 21:13 ` Niels L. Ellegaard
       [not found]   ` <m3r7l21636.fsf@ceres.staly.plus.com>
From: Niels L. Ellegaard @ 2005-01-02 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Sumbler <david@aeolia.co.uk> writes:

> It seems to be working OK, but in the Group buffer all my mail groups
> appear with an asterisk instead of the number of unread messages (I am
> using the default gnus-group-line-format).  And the line appears in
> cyan instead of grey like all my newsgroups.
>
> Also, when I press 'g' to to get new "articles" only proper newsgroups
> are updated, not the mail groups.  The only way I seem to be able to
> get the actual number of unread e-mails to show in the Group buffer is
> to enter then quit each group in turn.

The following is a wild guess: I once had a somewhat similar
problem. This problem occured because I had lowered the level of the
nnfolder group to 5.

www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_25.html

I am not sure if this is the reason for your problems, but at least
it's worth a try :)

                             Good luck

                                  Niels

* Re: Checking mail
       [not found]     ` <m3d5wbeg2u.fsf@ceres.staly.plus.com>
@ 2005-01-12 15:53       ` David Sumbler
From: David Sumbler @ 2005-01-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:

> I still have the problem that when I start Gnus (or press 'g' in the
> Group buffer), it does not get new mail, although it gets new news
> and new archived messages.
>
> All of my mail and news groups currently have level 3, except for a
> couple of mailboxes which I have set to level 1 and 2.
>
> If I give a prefix to 'g' (e.g. 'C-u 5 g') then it updates the mail
> OK.

I have now discovered that nnfolder-get-new-mail is nil, although the
manual says that the default is t.  I imagine that this is the cause
of the odd behaviour.

"No problem", thought I, and I added the line
(setq nnfolder-get-new-mail t)
to my .gnus file.

But it didn't work: I find that after I start Gnus,
nnfolder-get-new-mail is still nil, although the Gnus file _is_ being
read.

If I then do (setq nnfolder-get-new-mail t) in the *scratch* buffer,
then nnfolder-get-new-mail correctly shows up as t, but if I exit from
Gnus, then nnfolder-get-new-mail is again nil!  Let me repeat that,
because I think it's weird: exiting Gnus changes the value of
nnfolder-get-new-mail from t to nil.

I don't understand why this is, and therefore I can't get round the
problem.  But I dare say some of you experienced (Gn)users will be
able to give me a possible explanation.  At least, I hope so!

David