* Using ifile as a last resort
@ 2003-02-10 19:17 Karl Eklund
From: Karl Eklund @ 2003-02-10 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is the way I split mail. ifile-gnus is set to "spam filter only"
mode.

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(|
	("X-Mailing-List" "\\(debian-.*\\)@lists.debian.org" "list.\\1")
	("List-Id" "bugtraq\.list-id\.securityfocus\.com" "list.bugtraq")
	("List-Id" "elektrosmog\.nu" "list.elektrosmog")
	("List-Id" "selinux-aktiva\.se\.linux\.org" "list.selinux-aktiva")
	("List-Id" "ifile-discuss\.nongnu\.org" "list.ifile-discuss")
	("List-Id" "full-disclosure\.lists\.netsys\.com"
                   "list.full-disclosure")
	("List-Id" "spyce-users\.lists\.sourceforge\.net" "list.spyce-users")
	 "list.sslug-announce")
	(: ifile-spam-filter
	   "mail.misc")))

ifile takes a while so I don't want to run it on the mailing lists,
only on everything that isn't caught by the mailing list filters. I
think it runs on every message now. Is there some obvious error? I
must confess I don't have a profound understanding of "fancy
splitting".

Another question: if I put in < and > around the regexps (the List-Id
header looks that way), everything ends up in the mail.misc. \< \> or
\\< \\> don't work either. Do plain < > really have a meaning in
regexps?

* Re: Using ifile as a last resort
@ 2003-02-11  9:24 ` Stefan Bodewig
From: Stefan Bodewig @ 2003-02-11  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Feb 2003, Karl Eklund <kekn@medelklassen.com> wrote:

> This is the way I split mail. ifile-gnus is set to "spam filter
> only" mode.

Looks similar to my setup, only that I leave most of the mailing list
mails to ifile before splitting them as most lists are not moderated
and carry a certain amount of spam as well.

> ifile takes a while so I don't want to run it on the mailing lists,
> only on everything that isn't caught by the mailing list filters. I
> think it runs on every message now.

If you look at the message buffer you'll see that ifile writes two
messages, one for "generating recommendation" and one for "storing
recommendation" (or something similar).

The first message happens when ifile-spam-filter is called, the second
one is for all mails as ifile will store the non-spam recommendation
even for the mails you've split with your own rules.  I don't think
you can suppress the later, which may be a good thing as you'd end up
with too few non-spam mails to properly teach ifile otherwise.

Stefan