* Re: How to avoid posting in unicode
       [not found] <pan.2003.07.10.16.25.48.393249@online.ru>
@ 2003-07-10 18:07 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-07-10 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eugene Morozov <kaede.news@online.ru> writes:

> I'm using unicode in Emacs and articles posted to Usenet via Gnus are
> in UTF-8 encoding. But articles posted to russian usenet groups must be in
> KOI8-R encoding. I've checked all relevant gnus custom variables and they
> all indicate that postings should be encoded in KOI8-R. What should I do
> to post in KOI8-R?

See `gnus-group-posting-charset-alist' and the "Charsets" node in the
Gnus manual.

But it seems like Gnus already prefers to send koi8-r in the fido7.*
and relcom.* hierarchies -- are you talking about different Russian
groups?

* Re: How to avoid posting in unicode
@ 2003-07-10 21:18   ` Eugene Morozov
From: Eugene Morozov @ 2003-07-10 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:07:04 +0200, Jesper Harder wrote:

> See `gnus-group-posting-charset-alist' and the "Charsets" node in the
> Gnus manual.
>
> But it seems like Gnus already prefers to send koi8-r in the fido7.*
> and relcom.* hierarchies -- are you talking about different Russian
> groups?

I'm talking about these hierarchies. Gnus uses UTF-8 for them ignoring
`gnus-group-posting-charset-alist'.

--
Email: <jmv at online.ru>

* Re: How to avoid posting in unicode
@ 2003-07-11  2:55     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-07-11  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eugene Morozov <kaede.news@online.ru> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:07:04 +0200, Jesper Harder wrote:
>
>> See `gnus-group-posting-charset-alist' and the "Charsets" node in the
>> Gnus manual.
>>
>> But it seems like Gnus already prefers to send koi8-r in the fido7.*
>> and relcom.* hierarchies -- are you talking about different Russian
>> groups?
>
> I'm talking about these hierarchies. Gnus uses UTF-8 for them ignoring
> `gnus-group-posting-charset-alist'.

Ah, right.  I didn't remember correctly ... `gnus-group-posting-
charset-alist' is not the way to prefer a charset.  That option only
says how a charset should be encoded.

To prefer koi8-r over utf-8 you can do a number of thing:

* Start Emacs in a Russian locale.
* Set the language environment in Emacs: `C-x RET l Russian'
* Customize `mm-coding-system-priorities'.
* ... there are probably some more ways.

--
Здравствуйте!