* Re: newuser, help
       [not found] <lcoumukovevvjjmjdn1svsl8ns6316aoca@4ax.com>
@ 2002-08-30 22:09 ` Wu XiaoGuang
From: Wu XiaoGuang @ 2002-08-30 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

lhomer wrote:
> I have just installed Suse 8.0. I have emacs up in both Windows and
> Linux, but can't seem to get any newsgroups. I have digital cable from
> ATT. I have opened a  .gnus file and introduced a setq instruction to
> find the newsserver. I think gnus is finding it, but I must not have
> the settings right. Where can I get confirmation of where the .gnus
> file should be, and a template for what should be in it?

This is my ~/.gnus:

   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.cn99.com"))
  ;; You could replace "news.cn99.com" with some server nearby.
   (gnus-agentize)
  ;; It is for offline reading, because I am using Modem.

* Re: newuser, help
@ 2002-09-06 16:12   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-09-06 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm also a newcomer, but discovered more or less by accident that to
get started I also needed to create a file: ~/.authinfo with the
following content in order to access the news server (which happens to
be news.snet.sbcglobal.net):

  machine news.snet.sbcglobal.net login uid password password
  machine localhost login news password snet

Here I've used the word "password" for my password, and "uid" for my
user ID assigned by my ISP. While I suspect the second line here is
flawed, at least it works.

Any lurker willing to explain the syntax of the second line?
--
      Haines Brown
	brownh@hartford-hwp.com