* Q: Getting all the parents to the current topic from the server
@ 2006-11-29 10:58 Passer By
From: Passer By @ 2006-11-29 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok sometimes people don't quote just right so i wish to read the
original parent, i would like to be able to fetch all parent articles
of the current article that are on my server. How might i do that in
one or two steps?

for example lets say the whole thread on the server was

-------
*Group*
  14: rahed               ] gmail from gnus
       <  22: Leo                 >
           [  17: Brep                ]
               [  29: koocyton            ]
                   [  33: Ted Zlatanov        ]
       <  22: Radek               >
           [  40: Ted Zlatanov        ]
               [  38: Radek               ]
                   [  63: Ted Zlatanov        ]

but i had already read and forgot about the first 2 replys and so had

-------
*Group*

               [  29: koocyton            ] Re: gmail for gnus
                   [  33: Ted Zlatanov        ]
       <  22: Radek               >
           [  40: Ted Zlatanov        ]
               [  38: Radek               ]
                   [  63: Ted Zlatanov        ]

I would like to run a command on article

  [  29: koocyton            ] Re: gmail for gnus

that would give me the original thread structure up to

14: rahed               ] gmail from gnus

Thanks

* Re: Q: Getting all the parents to the current topic from the server
@ 2006-11-29 21:31 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2006-11-29 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:58:39 GMT, Passer wrote:

> Ok sometimes people don't quote just right so i wish to read the
> original parent, i would like to be able to fetch all parent articles
> of the current article that are on my server. How might i do that in
> one or two steps?

Maybe this is what you are looking for?

,----[ A T ]
| A T runs `gnus-summary-refer-thread'
|
| `gnus-summary-refer-thread' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
|   -- loaded from "gnus-sum"
| (gnus-summary-refer-thread &optional LIMIT)
|
| Documentation:
| Fetch all articles in the current thread.
| If LIMIT (the numerical prefix), fetch that many old headers instead
| of what's specified by the `gnus-refer-thread-limit' variable.
`----

  Best regards,

--
 "Limonès, c'est nous"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Q: Getting all the parents to the current topic from the server
@ 2006-11-29 21:33 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2006-11-29 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Passer By <sender@sender.send> writes:

> Ok sometimes people don't quote just right so i wish to read the
> original parent, i would like to be able to fetch all parent articles
> of the current article that are on my server. How might i do that in
> one or two steps?
>

> for example lets say the whole thread on the server was
>

> -------
> *Group*
>   14: rahed               ] gmail from gnus
>        <  22: Leo                 >
>            [  17: Brep                ]
>                [  29: koocyton            ]
>                    [  33: Ted Zlatanov        ]
>        <  22: Radek               >
>            [  40: Ted Zlatanov        ]
>                [  38: Radek               ]
>                    [  63: Ted Zlatanov        ]
>
> but i had already read and forgot about the first 2 replys and so had
>

> -------
> *Group*
>

>                [  29: koocyton            ] Re: gmail for gnus
>                    [  33: Ted Zlatanov        ]
>        <  22: Radek               >
>            [  40: Ted Zlatanov        ]
>                [  38: Radek               ]
>                    [  63: Ted Zlatanov        ]

> I would like to run a command on article
>
>   [  29: koocyton            ] Re: gmail for gnus
>
> that would give me the original thread structure up to
>
> 14: rahed               ] gmail from gnus

Look in the Article menu, there is a command for the parent, all referenced
articles, or the entire thread.  That might be a place to start.

Dave

* Re: Q: Getting all the parents to the current topic from the server
@ 2006-12-01 13:36   ` Passer By
From: Passer By @ 2006-12-01 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:58:39 GMT, Passer wrote:
>
> > Ok sometimes people don't quote just right so i wish to read the
> > original parent, i would like to be able to fetch all parent articles
> > of the current article that are on my server. How might i do that in
> > one or two steps?
>
> Maybe this is what you are looking for?
>
> ,----[ A T ]
> | A T runs `gnus-summary-refer-thread'
> |
> | `gnus-summary-refer-thread' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
> |   -- loaded from "gnus-sum"
> | (gnus-summary-refer-thread &optional LIMIT)
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Fetch all articles in the current thread.
> | If LIMIT (the numerical prefix), fetch that many old headers instead
> | of what's specified by the `gnus-refer-thread-limit' variable.
> `----
>

>   Best regards,

Exactly, tack!