* Re: Kai's name in summary buffer
       [not found]   ` <87d6vm66qq.fsf@uidaho.edu>
@ 2002-05-23 20:36     ` those who know me have no need of my name
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-05-23 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

<87d6vm66qq.fsf@uidaho.edu> divulged:

>I don't know if this is related, but Kai's (and a few other people)
>have lost some non-ascii characters (for Kai, the ß character) in the
>summary buffer that are fine in the article.

kai has switched to latin-9 encoding of his name, and your version of gnus
probably cannot (quite) handle that.

* Re: Kai's name in summary buffer
       [not found] ` <m3661etymh.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 2002-05-24  6:06   ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-05-24  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * Henrik Enberg <henrik+news@enberg.org>  on Thu, 23 May 2002
> | When I see it in news groups it shows up as "Kai   Großjohann" (3 spaces
> | between first and last name), but in mail groups is shown correctly as
> | "Kai Großjohann". Anyone else seeing this?
>
> Not here.  Are you using proportional font for the display?

not me.. am on a dummy term.. means: emacs -nw..

and have perhaps no non-english fonts (sp.[1]?)installed, even if that
were possible on a dummy term..

> -- Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> \ Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
> Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ PGP Key: at a key server near
> you!  \ That and five bucks will get you a small coffee at
> Starbucks.

[1] i guess i should say 'terminology?'

D				   <http://www.glue.umd.edu/~deego/>
--
Why don't *we* have congressmen like the one writing this!!! ---->
 http://www.gnu.org.pe/resmseng.html

* Re: Kai's name in summary buffer
       [not found]           ` <87off5z532.fsf@easynet.be>
@ 2002-05-24 20:44             ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2002-05-24 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> adamp_at@at_ipipan.waw.pl (Adam P.) writes:

>>> NT Emacs 21.1 + Gnus 5.9.0
>>>
>>> Both Kai's and your name have a square box in them for me (how do I
>>> fix?).  However, I don't see any more than one space between Kai's
>>> first and last name.
>>
>> Same here.
>>
>> GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (i386-msvc-windows98.2222) of 2001-10-22 on buffy"
>> Oort Gnus v0.06

> That's a charset problem : we both use ISO-8859-15 (Latin-9) for
> posting. But I don't know how you might fix it.

> --
> Rémi Letot

Hmmmm.

NT XEmacs 21.4.7 + Gnus 5.8.8

In this version, both your name and Kai's name has the ISO marker when
viewed in the "From" header, but everything looks fine in the body of
the message.  I still don't see more than one space, though...

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.

* Re: Kai's name in summary buffer
       [not found]       ` <m3vg9dtnfi.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 2002-05-25  6:34         ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2002-05-25  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> * Norbert Koch <nk@viteno.net>  on Fri, 24 May 2002
> | IMO, it's not Emacs related.  I use XEmacs and see two spaces, too.
>
> But I use a no-MULE XEmacs and I see one space.

Then it looks like it's MULE related. Hmm, still I wonder, why only
the space is doubled; not an extra blank after every character, eg.

norbert.
--
Well, I'm on the right planet---everyone looks like me!!!

@ 2002-05-25  6:59             ` Sergei Pokrovsky
From: Sergei Pokrovsky @ 2002-05-25  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

  Rémi> That's a charset problem : we both use ISO-8859-15 (Latin-9)
  Rémi> for posting. But I don't know how you might fix it.

In Emacs-20.7, which I still normally prefer, I have this in my
dot-emacs-20.el:

  (define-coding-system-alias 'latin-9 'latin-1)
  (define-coding-system-alias 'iso-8859-15 'latin-1)

and everything looks okay (I never need euros).  Occasionally (like
now) I try

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)

there I did not define the aliasing and there are some problems, among
others, there are three (not two!) spaces in the the Kai's name as
presented in the Summary buffer.  And of course, bbdb starts fussing.

--
Sergei

* Re: Kai's name in summary buffer
@ 2002-05-25 10:00           ` Mark Oberfield
From: Mark Oberfield @ 2002-05-25 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Koch <nk@viteno.net> writes:

> Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
>
> > * Norbert Koch <nk@viteno.net>  on Fri, 24 May 2002
> > | IMO, it's not Emacs related.  I use XEmacs and see two spaces, too.
> >
> > But I use a no-MULE XEmacs and I see one space.
>
> Then it looks like it's MULE related. Hmm, still I wonder, why only
> the space is doubled; not an extra blank after every character, eg.

Well I use no-MULE XEmacs and I see two spaces between
Kai's first and last name.

Mark
--
"I support efforts to limit the terms of members of Congress,
especially members of the House and members of the Senate."

* Re: Kai's name in summary buffer
@ 2002-05-25 10:41               ` Adam P.
From: Adam P. @ 2002-05-25 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sergei Pokrovsky <pok@none.nowhere.invalid> writes:

> [...]
>
>   Rémi> That's a charset problem : we both use ISO-8859-15 (Latin-9)
>   Rémi> for posting. But I don't know how you might fix it.
>
> In Emacs-20.7, which I still normally prefer, I have this in my
> dot-emacs-20.el:
>
>   (define-coding-system-alias 'latin-9 'latin-1)
>   (define-coding-system-alias 'iso-8859-15 'latin-1)

Thanks, this solved my 'blank rectangles' problems in Rémi's and
Kai's names.

      Adam

--
Name and address in X-Real...

* Re: Kai's name in summary buffer
       [not found]                 ` <vaf1ybw1egg.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-05-29  7:22                   ` Stein A Stromme
       [not found]                     ` <851ybvz9oh.fsf@brehat.trusted-logic.fr>
From: Stein A Stromme @ 2002-05-29  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Kai Großjohann]

| ....  (Maybe some of my postings have Latin-1 bodies but
| Latin-9 headers?  Also try C-u g on a posting to investigate.)

The header looks like this for me (gnus 5.9.0, cvs emacs 21.3.50)

From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai
 =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)

In the summary buffer there are two spaces between Kai and Gro, this
seems to be consistent with the unfortunate linebreak (note the
leading space on the second line, why is that there?).

SA
--
Stein Arild Strømme                     Tel: (+47) 2212 2521
Centre for Advanced Study               Fax: (+47) 2212 2501

@ 2002-05-29 16:15                       ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-05-29 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
> So a <CR>?<LF>\s+ must be either considered as a single space or
> discarded, I do not remember which is the standard.

It must be treated as \s+.  Only the line break is removed.

paul

* Re: Kai's name in summary buffer
       [not found] <87adqq3h3u.fsf@enberg.org>
@ 2002-05-23 19:57 ` Juho Jussila
       [not found] ` <ap3it5en256.fsf@fosters.umd.edu>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Juho Jussila @ 2002-05-23 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg <henrik+news@enberg.org> writes:

> I just noted something weird about the Gnus display of Kais name.

Same here.

> When I see it in news groups it shows up as "Kai   Großjohann" (3 spaces
> between first and last name), but in mail groups is shown correctly as
> "Kai Großjohann". Anyone else seeing this?

If I select gnu.emacs.gnus group with '9 RET' I get this:

O  [  13: Kai   Großjohann    ] Re: bbdb and searching

If '8 RET' and 'P' I get this one:

R  [  13: Kai Großjohann      ] Re: bbdb and searching

--
  //  juho.jussila@iki.fi
\X/   http://www.iki.fi/~jussila