* How to change to nick name
@ 2010-03-12 20:14 Decare
From: Decare @ 2010-03-12 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

In summay buffer, nick names appears between square brackets like this
               [ nick name ]
but mine is not so, rather than
              [  17: => comp.unix.shell     ]
But in .gnu.el, there is a statement
              (setq user-full-name "Decare")
Why not take effect? Or other configurations need?

--
cogito ergo sum!

* Re: How to change to nick name
@ 2010-03-12 20:26 ` Decare
From: Decare @ 2010-03-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Decare <decare@yeah.net> writes:

> In summay buffer, nick names appears between square brackets like this
>                [ nick name ]
> but mine is not so, rather than
>               [  17: => comp.unix.shell     ]
> But in .gnu.el, there is a statement
>               (setq user-full-name "Decare")
> Why not take effect? Or other configurations need?

There is a duplicate statement, delete one and try again.

--
cogito ergo sum!

* Re: How to change to nick name
@ 2010-03-12 22:17 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-03-12 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:14:12 -0100, Decare wrote:

> In summay buffer, nick names appears between square brackets like this
>                [ nick name ]
> but mine is not so, rather than
>               [  17: => comp.unix.shell     ]

That is because Gnus doesn't show From: but rather To: if From: matches
gnus-ignored-from-addresses.

I told ".Martin." the same thing in <87sk8chumy.fsf@topper.koldfront.dk>
in this group less than a week ago...

> But in .gnu.el, there is a statement
>               (setq user-full-name "Decare")
> Why not take effect? Or other configurations need?

user-full-name should be your full name, not your nickname.

What is it with you young people and the nicknames? Get off my lawn.

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore         Adam Sjøgren
  to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of      asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to change to nick name
@ 2010-03-13  7:30   ` Decare
From: Decare @ 2010-03-13  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:14:12 -0100, Decare wrote:
>
>> In summay buffer, nick names appears between square brackets like this
>>                [ nick name ]
>> but mine is not so, rather than
>>               [  17: => comp.unix.shell     ]
>
> That is because Gnus doesn't show From: but rather To: if From: matches
> gnus-ignored-from-addresses.
>
> I told ".Martin." the same thing in <87sk8chumy.fsf@topper.koldfront.dk>
> in this group less than a week ago...
>
>> But in .gnu.el, there is a statement
>>               (setq user-full-name "Decare")
>> Why not take effect? Or other configurations need?
>
> user-full-name should be your full name, not your nickname.
>
> What is it with you young people and the nicknames? Get off my lawn.
>

>   :-),
>
>    Adam

Oh, nickname is really not equal to full name. It is a so terrible
negligence, just like you confuse this group and lawn. :-)

Ok, let's try again.

--
cogito ergo sum!

* Re: How to change to nick name
@ 2010-03-13  7:34   ` Decare
From: Decare @ 2010-03-13  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:14:12 -0100, Decare wrote:
>
>> In summay buffer, nick names appears between square brackets like this
>>                [ nick name ]
>> but mine is not so, rather than
>>               [  17: => comp.unix.shell     ]
>
> That is because Gnus doesn't show From: but rather To: if From: matches
> gnus-ignored-from-addresses.
>
> I told ".Martin." the same thing in <87sk8chumy.fsf@topper.koldfront.dk>
> in this group less than a week ago...
>
>> But in .gnu.el, there is a statement
>>               (setq user-full-name "Decare")
>> Why not take effect? Or other configurations need?
>
> user-full-name should be your full name, not your nickname.
>
> What is it with you young people and the nicknames? Get off my lawn.
>

>   :-),
>
>    Adam

It does really work. There are a further question that why the default
setting of variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses takes my email address.
I don't set it intentionally.

--
cogito ergo sum!

* Re: How to change to nick name
@ 2010-03-13 10:37     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-03-13 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 06:34:00 -0100, Decare wrote:

> It does really work. There are a further question that why the default
> setting of variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses takes my email address.
> I don't set it intentionally.

Because usually you know your own name, so for emails/articles written
by yourself, it is often more interesting to see to whom you wrote.

The place this comes in the most handy might be in your archive of
outgoing emails:

Instead of seeing a list like this in my nnml+archive:mail-2010:

 O +[  87: Adam Sjøgren           ] [gmane.announce] New group gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.user
 O +[  35: Adam Sjøgren           ] Fix infinite loop in EMBL writer.
 O +    [  16: Adam Sjøgren           ]
 O +[  23: Adam Sjøgren           ] Re: Opgradering af soekris
 O +[   5: Adam Sjøgren           ] Garage Biotech

I see something like:

 O +[  87: -> John C. Recipient   ] [gmane.announce] New group gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.user
 O +[  35: -> bioperl-l@bioperl.or] Fix infinite loop in EMBL writer.
 O +    [  16: -> bioperl-l@bioperl.or]
 O +[  23: -> Jacob E. Mail       ] Re: Opgradering af soekris
 O +[   5: -> someone@example.com ] Garage Biotech

which is arguably more relevant when you are trying to find an email you
wrote to someone (or an article you wrote in some group).

I think it is a nice little feature.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--