* Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-19  9:15 Volkan YAZICI
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2009-11-19  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Is it possible to forward more than one message in gnus? Also, is it
possible to attach a message to a mail?

Regards.

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-19  9:27 ` harven
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: harven @ 2009-11-19  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to forward more than one message in gnus? Also, is it
> possible to attach a message to a mail?

Not sure what you mean, but you can attach any number of documents to your mail.
You don't even need gnus for that. Message-mode, used by gnus, handles attachments.
C-c C-a is the default binding for attaching some document.

You can start message-mode independently of gnus just by typing C-x m.
See http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MessageMode for details.

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-19 11:40 ` Vagn Johansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.11039.1258631203.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Vagn Johansen @ 2009-11-19 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to forward more than one message in gnus? Also, is it
> possible to attach a message to a mail?

Mark the mails and run

  S O m runs the command gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward
    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-uu.el'.
  It is bound to S O m, <menu-bar> <Post> <Digest and mail>.
  (gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward &optional N POST)

  Digests and forwards all articles in this series.

--
Vagn Johansen
Evalesco A/S

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-19 11:45 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.11039.1258631203.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-11-19 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Volkan,

> Is it possible to forward more than one message in gnus?

Sure it is.  Mark all messages you need to forward with the process mark
`#', then use `gnus-summary-post-forward' or `gnus-summary-mail-forward'
as usual.

> Also, is it possible to attach a message to a mail?

Isn't forwarding the same as attaching messages?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-19 11:51   ` Volkan YAZICI
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2009-11-19 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Nov 19, 11:27 am, harven <har...@free.fr> wrote:
> Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yaz...@gmail.com> writes:
> Not sure what you mean, but you can attach any number of documents to your mail.
> You don't even need gnus for that. Message-mode, used by gnus, handles attachments.
> C-c C-a is the default binding for attaching some document.
>
> You can start message-mode independently of gnus just by typing C-x m.
> Seehttp://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MessageModefor details.

I know how to send a mail and attach a file. I just want to refer to
the will be attached posts in a way similar to the org mode
attachments. E.g. gnus:misc#39. In C-c C-a, you need to supply a file
path, I don't want to do that, 'cause a mail is not a file, from a
user's point of view, IMHO.

@ 2009-11-19 11:54   ` Volkan YAZICI
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2009-11-19 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Nov 19, 1:45 pm, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Sure it is.  Mark all messages you need to forward with the process mark
> `#', then use `gnus-summary-post-forward' or `gnus-summary-mail-forward'
> as usual.

Works like a charm, thanks so much. (Thanks to Vagn Johansen also.)

@ 2009-11-19 12:04   ` Nicolas KOWALSKI
From: Nicolas KOWALSKI @ 2009-11-19 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to forward more than one message in gnus?
>
> Sure it is.  Mark all messages you need to forward with the process mark
> `#', then use `gnus-summary-post-forward' or `gnus-summary-mail-forward'
> as usual.

BTW, another question about this.

This works when the mails to be attached are in the same group.
How do you attach mails that are stored in different groups ?

--
Nicolas

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-19 19:45     ` Tassilo Horn
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-11-19 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.demisel.net> writes:

Hi Nicolas,

>>> Is it possible to forward more than one message in gnus?
>>
>> Sure it is.  Mark all messages you need to forward with the process mark
>> `#', then use `gnus-summary-post-forward' or `gnus-summary-mail-forward'
>> as usual.
>
> BTW, another question about this.
>
> This works when the mails to be attached are in the same group.  How
> do you attach mails that are stored in different groups ?

Very good question, and I don't know how to do that in a good way.  I
see two workarounds:

  a) Open a sticky article buffer for each message you want to forward,
     and then use `mml-attach-buffer' (C-c RET b).  But I don't know if
     that works if the messages contain attachments and stuff...

  b) Search for the messages you need to forward using your favorite
     search interface, e.g. nnir, so that they are all in one summary
     buffer.  Of course, that's not always possible...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-20  7:30       ` Nicolas KOWALSKI
       [not found]       ` <mailman.11125.1258702242.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Nicolas KOWALSKI @ 2009-11-20  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.demisel.net> writes:
>>
>> This works when the mails to be attached are in the same group.  How
>> do you attach mails that are stored in different groups ?
>
> Very good question, and I don't know how to do that in a good way.  I
> see two workarounds:
>
>   a) Open a sticky article buffer for each message you want to forward,
>      and then use `mml-attach-buffer' (C-c RET b).  But I don't know if
>      that works if the messages contain attachments and stuff...

Thanks for the idea, but how to open a "sticky" article buffer?

>   b) Search for the messages you need to forward using your favorite
>      search interface, e.g. nnir, so that they are all in one summary
>      buffer.  Of course, that's not always possible...

I do not use a search interface, so that's not possible.

--
Nicolas

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-20  8:27         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-11-20  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.demisel.net> writes:

Hi Nicolas,

>>> This works when the mails to be attached are in the same group.  How
>>> do you attach mails that are stored in different groups ?
>>
>> Very good question, and I don't know how to do that in a good way.  I
>> see two workarounds:
>>
>>   a) Open a sticky article buffer for each message you want to forward,
>>      and then use `mml-attach-buffer' (C-c RET b).  But I don't know if
>>      that works if the messages contain attachments and stuff...
>
> Thanks for the idea, but how to open a "sticky" article buffer?

In a summary buffer, there is:

,----
| A S runs the command gnus-sticky-article, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
| function in `gnus-art.el'.
|
| It is bound to A S, <menu-bar> <Article> <Make article buffer sticky>.
|
| (gnus-sticky-article ARG)
|
| Make the current article sticky.
| If a prefix ARG is given, ask for a name for this sticky article buffer.
`----

Also, have a look at the manual:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Sticky Articles") ]
|    This implies that it's not possible to have more than one article
| buffer in a group at a time.  But sometimes you might want to display
| all the latest emails from your mother, your father, your aunt, your
| uncle and your 17 cousins to coordinate the next christmas party.
|
|    That's where sticky articles come in handy.  A sticky article buffer
| basically is a normal article buffer, but it won't be reused when you
| select another article.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-20  9:02           ` Nicolas KOWALSKI
From: Nicolas KOWALSKI @ 2009-11-20  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thanks for your help Tassilo,

> | A S runs the command gnus-sticky-article, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
> | function in `gnus-art.el'.

Ok, so I can not use it, because this function does not exist on my
system, Gnus v5.11, GNU Emacs 22.2.1 on Debian Lenny. Too bad :-|

--
Nicolas

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-20 10:33             ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-11-20 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.demisel.net> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> | A S runs the command gnus-sticky-article, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
>> | function in `gnus-art.el'.
>
> Ok, so I can not use it, because this function does not exist on my
> system, Gnus v5.11, GNU Emacs 22.2.1 on Debian Lenny. Too bad :-|

Yes, I think I've added this feature to NoGnus in Gnus CVS, so it should
be in emacs releases since 23.  Maybe also in Emacs 22.3 or 22.4, but I
doubt so.

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2009-11-20 11:02         ` Jens Thiele
From: Jens Thiele @ 2009-11-20 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.demisel.net> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>>   b) Search for the messages you need to forward using your favorite
>>      search interface, e.g. nnir, so that they are all in one summary
>>      buffer.  Of course, that's not always possible...
>
> I do not use a search interface, so that's not possible.

You may consider using one as it is quite useful. Another similar way:

Create a new group. ("G m" in *Group* buffer, maybe using nnml backend)
Copy the Articles to forward in that group.
Forward the articles.
Delete articles and group again.

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-20 11:50           ` Nicolas KOWALSKI
From: Nicolas KOWALSKI @ 2009-11-20 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jens Thiele <karme@berlios.de> writes:

> You may consider using one as it is quite useful.

I'll check, yes.

> Another similar way:
>
> Create a new group. ("G m" in *Group* buffer, maybe using nnml backend)
> Copy the Articles to forward in that group.
> Forward the articles.
> Delete articles and group again.

That's what I am currently doing to workaround the limitation, but
Thanks, for the record.

Thanks,
--
Nicolas

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-20 12:35             ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-11-20 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.demisel.net> writes:

> Thanks for your help Tassilo,
>
> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> | A S runs the command gnus-sticky-article, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
>> | function in `gnus-art.el'.
>
> Ok, so I can not use it, because this function does not exist on my
> system, Gnus v5.11, GNU Emacs 22.2.1 on Debian Lenny. Too bad :-|

You might consider adding backports to your Lenny sources. Emacs 23
works well from that on Lenny.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=emacs23

* Re: Multiple Message Forwarding/Attaching
@ 2009-11-20 14:24               ` Nicolas KOWALSKI
From: Nicolas KOWALSKI @ 2009-11-20 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> You might consider adding backports to your Lenny sources. Emacs 23
> works well from that on Lenny.

Ok, I just upgraded my installation using the emacs23 backports.

I now have the sticky article command, but Using 'Ctrl-C RET b' to
attach another buffer does not include the attachments, only the article
text. Apparently I will have to keep the copy-to-group/forward-messages
method.

BTW, the speed difference between emacs21 and emacs23 (especially when
removing messages from a big folder) is really great; I should have
upgraded before!

Thanks to all for your tips,
--
Nicolas

@ 2009-11-20 22:52       ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2009-11-20 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

>>> Sure it is.  Mark all messages you need to forward with the process mark
>>> `#', then use `gnus-summary-post-forward' or `gnus-summary-mail-forward'
>>> as usual.

>> BTW, another question about this.

>> This works when the mails to be attached are in the same group.  How
>> do you attach mails that are stored in different groups ?

> Very good question, and I don't know how to do that in a good way.  I
> see two workarounds:

>   a) Open a sticky article buffer for each message you want to forward,
>      and then use `mml-attach-buffer' (C-c RET b).  But I don't know if
>      that works if the messages contain attachments and stuff...

>   b) Search for the messages you need to forward using your favorite
>      search interface, e.g. nnir, so that they are all in one summary
>      buffer.  Of course, that's not always possible...

c) 1. Go to group #1, C-c C-f one message and bury the buf-
      fer.
   2. Go to group #n, C-c C-f one message, copy the MML bit
      to the initial draft and discard this one.
   3. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Tim