* Re: mbox <-> nnml
       [not found] <sm5it4lfxao.fsf@cid.alcatel.com>
@ 2002-06-14 21:31 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-06-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Everets <kevin.everets@alcatel.com> wrote:
> (setq mail-sources '((file)
>                      (directory :path "~/Mail/"
>                                 :suffix ".spool")))
>
> so that Gnus will read the spools and drop the mail in the nnfolder's
> I've set up to receive them.
>
> The problem comes in that this takes a long time

nnml would be faster, and nnmaildir (available in Oort Gnus) would be
faster still: you could make procmail deliver your mail into the same
maildirs that nnmaildir uses as groups.  Then nnmaildir would simply
rename the new message files it notices, rather than going through the
usual Gnus mail-splitting procedure.

> The question is: is there an easy way to move all of my mbox folders
> to nnml, and if I decide Gnus isn't for me (or I need to archive
> mail into a format that I know almost everything can read), is there
> a way to easily move from nnml back to mbox?

Yes, copying/moving mail between groups is easy, even if they belong
to different backends.  To copy an entire group, you'd enter the group
with [C-u RET] to show all the messages, then [M P a] to mark all
articles, then [B c] or [B m] to copy or move the marked articles.

paul

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-06-14 21:31 UTC | newest]