* disabling autosave
@ 2006-09-20  2:14 Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2006-09-20  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Folks,

My #.newsrc-dribble# file is about 2MB and when gnus/xemacs
autoaves, it takes several hundred milliseconds away from
me. How do I turn off auto-saving this file? I've already
(setq auto-save-default nil) in my init.el
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  things were so uncomplicated?"

* Re: disabling autosave
@ 2006-09-20 10:43 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-09-20 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Randy,

,----[ (info "(gnus)Auto Save") ]
|    If `gnus-use-dribble-file' is `nil', Gnus won't create and maintain
| a dribble buffer.  The default is `t'.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_

* Re: disabling autosave
@ 2006-09-20 11:13   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-09-20 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 20 2006, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>> My #.newsrc-dribble# file is about 2MB and when gnus/xemacs
>> autoaves, it takes several hundred milliseconds away from me. How
>> do I turn off auto-saving this file? I've already (setq
>> auto-save-default nil) in my init.el
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Auto Save") ]
> |    If `gnus-use-dribble-file' is `nil', Gnus won't create and maintain
> | a dribble buffer.  The default is `t'.
> `----

BTW, this is the first hit when doing `i auto-save' or `i dribble'
within the Gnus manual.  Is there anything we could improve in the
documentation to make it even more easy to find?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: disabling autosave
@ 2006-09-20 13:01     ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2006-09-20 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, Sep 20 2006, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>
>> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>>> My #.newsrc-dribble# file is about 2MB and when gnus/xemacs
>>> autoaves, it takes several hundred milliseconds away from me. How
>>> do I turn off auto-saving this file? I've already (setq
>>> auto-save-default nil) in my init.el
>>
>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Auto Save") ]
>> |    If `gnus-use-dribble-file' is `nil', Gnus won't create and maintain
>> | a dribble buffer.  The default is `t'.
>> `----
>
> BTW, this is the first hit when doing `i auto-save' or `i dribble'
> within the Gnus manual.  Is there anything we could improve in the
> documentation to make it even more easy to find?

Hi Reiner,

The problem is that there is too much information. I see now that if I
had HAPPENED to use the info page for gnus, I would have found my answer
almost immediately. Instead, what I did was

  a. Perform an on-line search via C-h a "auto-save", which came up
  with a whole bunch of stuff that I tried to search through.

  b. Searched the xemacs manual for auto-saving.

After spending about 10 fruitless minutes on this, I gave up and
posted my question.

Another part of the problem is that it is not always clear (as in this
case) what functions are xemacs and what are gnus. This multiplies the
required searches by a factor of two.

To my discredit, I have never become comfortable with the info
tool. Thus I tend not to use it. However, I did notice just now that
it is in the gnus manual as well.

Whatever the reasons or judgements, this is what happened, and why
I posted here.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Bird, on the wing,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %   goes floating by