* Re: Populating and updating the active file local cache and keeping gnus from querying Astraweb after '1g'
       [not found] <mailman.22149.1363318495.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2013-08-01 13:02 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-01 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ezequiel Birman; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Ezequiel Birman <stormwatch@espiga4.com.ar> writes:

> I've configured gnus to only fetch my mail (with nnmail) when I press
> '1g' (and also at startup). Nevertheless, since I've added a new nntp
> binary server (Astraweb) gnus always wastes some precious seconds
> reading the active file from this server as you can see in the extract
> below. Is that unavoidable? This is from *Messages* after starting gnus:

If Gnus is fetching data from that server when you hit `1 g', then it
sounds likely that you have some group from that server on level 1.

> On a related note, and proably more important too, I can only browse
> through Astraweb's groups if I enter the *Server* buffer whereas I'd
> rather like to be able to have them in the Killed (or Zombie if new)
> Groups list so I can see them when I press 'A k'. Is this possible? I've
> tried recreating the active file with gnus-cache-generate-active, also
> gnus-group-find-new-groups (with one and two C-u prefixes) but I keep
> seeing only the groups from old servers (gmane, gwene, and my primary
> server individual.net)

I'm not quite sure I understand that at all.  Here it sounds like the
server isn't consulted at all, or your settings for new groups is
ignoring new groups from this server...

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php

* Re: Populating and updating the active file local cache and keeping gnus from querying Astraweb after '1g'
@ 2013-03-28  0:04 ` Ezequiel Birman
From: Ezequiel Birman @ 2013-03-28  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    > *** note *** I was wondering why I got no replies to my original
    > message. It seems I posted on the wrong group gnu.emacs.gnus
    > although according to http://www.gnus.org/resources.html "The
    > gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup is the appropriate place to ask questions
    > on usage of released versions of Gnus." I thought gnu.emacs.gnus
    > was gatewayed to gmane.emacs.gnus.user but my message didn't
    > appear on searches.  *** end of note ***

    > I've configured gnus to only fetch my mail (with nnmail) when I
    > press '1g' (and also at startup). Nevertheless, since I've added a
    > new nntp binary server (Astraweb) gnus always wastes some precious
    > seconds reading the active file from this server as you can see in
    > the extract below. Is that unavoidable? This is from *Messages*
    > after starting gnus:

    > ,---- | Opening nnfolder server on archive...done | Opening nntp
    > server on news.gmane.org...done | Opening nntp server on
    > news.gwene.org...done | Opening nntp server on Astraweb US
    > SSL...done | Opening nnml server on david.espiga4.com.ar...done |
    > 165 new newsgroups have arrived | Checking new news...  | Reading
    > active file from Astraweb US SSL via nntp...  | Reading active
    > file from david.espiga4.com.ar via nnml...  | Reading incoming
    > mail from file...  `----

    > On a related note, and proably more important too, I can only
    > browse through Astraweb's groups if I enter the *Server* buffer
    > whereas I'd rather like to be able to have them in the Killed (or
    > Zombie if new) Groups list so I can see them when I press 'A
    > k'. Is this possible? I've tried recreating the active file with
    > gnus-cache-generate-active, also gnus-group-find-new-groups (with
    > one and two C-u prefixes) but I keep seeing only the groups from
    > old servers (gmane, gwene, and my primary server individual.net)

    > A list of pertinent variables:

    > gnus-activate-level 5 (changed from the default which is 6)
    > gnus-group-default-list-level 5 gnus-group-use-permanent-levels
    > nil gnus-level-default-subscribed 3
    > gnus-level-default-unsubscribed 6 gnus-level-killed 9
    > gnus-level-subscribed 5 gnus-level-unsubscribed 7
    > gnus-level-zombie 8 gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method
    > gnus-subscribe-zombies

    > Gnus v5.13

    > GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
    > scroll bars) of 2013-01-11 on david.espiga4.com.ar

    > -- Ezequiel Birman

Anyone, at least a hint, please?

--
Ezequiel Birman

* Populating and updating the active file local cache and keeping gnus from querying Astraweb after '1g'
@ 2013-03-15  3:36 Ezequiel Birman
From: Ezequiel Birman @ 2013-03-15  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

,----