* Mail folders inaccessible
@ 2005-11-09  9:42 David Sumbler
From: David Sumbler @ 2005-11-09  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was having a problem with one of my mail-folders.  In an experiment
to see if I could solve this, I ran gnus-cache-generate-nov-databases
and gnus-cache-generate-active

Now whenever I try to enter any of my main mail-groups, I get a
message such as "Couldn't activate group nnfolder:inbox: No such
group: inbox".

Yet if I list the files in ~/Mail/ they still seem to be intact - e.g.

ll Mail/inbox*
-rw-rw-r--  1 david david 386834 Nov  8 23:46 Mail/inbox
-rw-rw-r--  1 david david    152 Nov  8 23:46 Mail/inbox.mrk
-rw-------  1 david david  20015 Nov  8 23:47 Mail/inbox.nov
-rw-rw-r--  1 david david 392646 Nov  8 23:45 Mail/inbox~

How can I get things working properly again?

David

--

David Sumbler

Please reply with a followup to the newsgroup.

However, if you _really_ want to send me an e-mail,
replace "nospam" in my address with "aeolia".

* Re: Mail folders inaccessible
@ 2005-11-09 23:59 ` David Sumbler
From: David Sumbler @ 2005-11-09 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Sumbler <david@nospam.co.uk> writes:

> I was having a problem with one of my mail-folders.  In an experiment
> to see if I could solve this, I ran gnus-cache-generate-nov-databases
> and gnus-cache-generate-active
>
> Now whenever I try to enter any of my main mail-groups, I get a
> message such as "Couldn't activate group nnfolder:inbox: No such
> group: inbox".
>
> Yet if I list the files in ~/Mail/ they still seem to be intact - e.g.
>
> ll Mail/inbox*
> -rw-rw-r--  1 david david 386834 Nov  8 23:46 Mail/inbox
> -rw-rw-r--  1 david david    152 Nov  8 23:46 Mail/inbox.mrk
> -rw-------  1 david david  20015 Nov  8 23:47 Mail/inbox.nov
> -rw-rw-r--  1 david david 392646 Nov  8 23:45 Mail/inbox~
>
> How can I get things working properly again?

OK - the problem seems to be gradually resolving itself: as each
folder receives a new mail (according to Procmail rules), it becomes
accessible from Gnus again, with all the contents marked as unread.

David

--

@ 2005-11-10  8:26   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-10  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 10 2005, David Sumbler wrote:

> OK - the problem seems to be gradually resolving itself: as each
> folder receives a new mail (according to Procmail rules), it becomes
> accessible from Gnus again, with all the contents marked as unread.

Does procmail deliver directly into you Gnus nnfolder files?  If so,
don't do that, use `directory' in your `mail-sources' instead:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers") ]
| `directory'
|      Get mail from several files in a directory.  This is typically used
|      when you have procmail split the incoming mail into several files.
|      That is, there is a one-to-one correspondence between files in that
|      directory and groups, so that mail from the file `foo.bar.spool'
|      will be put in the group `foo.bar'.  (You can change the suffix to
|      be used instead of `.spool'.)  [...]
|
|      An example directory mail source:
|
|           (directory :path "/home/user-name/procmail-dir/"
|                      :suffix ".prcml")
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Mail folders inaccessible
@ 2005-11-10  9:29     ` David Sumbler
From: David Sumbler @ 2005-11-10  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 10 2005, David Sumbler wrote:
>
>> OK - the problem seems to be gradually resolving itself: as each
>> folder receives a new mail (according to Procmail rules), it
>> becomes accessible from Gnus again, with all the contents marked as
>> unread.
>
> Does procmail deliver directly into you Gnus nnfolder files?

No

> If so, don't do that, use `directory' in your `mail-sources'
> instead:
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers") ]
> | `directory'
> |      Get mail from several files in a directory.  This is typically used
> |      when you have procmail split the incoming mail into several files.
> |      That is, there is a one-to-one correspondence between files in that
> |      directory and groups, so that mail from the file `foo.bar.spool'
> |      will be put in the group `foo.bar'.  (You can change the suffix to
> |      be used instead of `.spool'.)  [...]
> |
> |      An example directory mail source:
> |
> |           (directory :path "/home/user-name/procmail-dir/"
> |                      :suffix ".prcml")
> `----

I use
(setq mail-sources '((directory :path "/home/david/Mail_folders/" :suffix ".prcml")))

David