* Re: Searching for groups?
       [not found]     ` <87add98xed.fsf@cecilia.trollope.org>
@ 2003-05-28  3:44       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-05-28  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Powe <michael+gnus@trollope.org> writes:

>     Harry> Michael Powe <michael+gnus@trollope.org> writes:
>     >> actually, this is not well-implemented on gnus.  you basically
>     >> have to load the active file and search it.  i've tried 'A M'
>     >> but i either have the wrong idea (that it will search the list
>     >> of groups in the background, without loading it in the
>     >> interface, and present me with a list of matches) or it's
>     >> broken.  all it does for me is search my list of subscribed
>     >> groups.  whee.
>
>     Harry> A M works for me in version 5.10.3 (cvs).  It finds all
>     Harry> matching groups in Active file or at least in Killed and
>     Harry> Zombie lists.  Including mail groups.
>
> oh well, if i go into the *Group* buffer and type 'A M' (capital-A
> capital-M) and search 'comp.os.' or 'comp.os.*' or even
> 'comp\.os\..*', all i get are the handful of 'comp.os.linux'
> newsgroups to which i am subscribed.
>
> however, if i search 'alt\.' i get a huge list of alt.* groups; if i
> search 'comp\.' i get
>
>        0: comp.security.pgp.test
>  Z    51: it.comp.lang (m)
>  Z   120: it.comp.lang.assembly
>  Z   400: it.comp.lang.python
>  Z   612: it.comp.sicurezza.crittografia
>  Z  1325: it.comp.software.p2p
>  Z   204: it.comp.www.server
>  Z   493: tw.bbs.comp.lang.php
>
> all of which seems whacky to me, as i don't read italian or chinese.
> ;-)

I doubt the nntp server sysadmin cares what languages you are fluent
in when the active list is compiles.... hehe.

You didn't say what version of gnus.  Or maybe I missed it.
Does `A A' get a complete list?
Maybe for interim until you find the problem you could `A A' and then
M-x occur REGEX

Or at least press `g' on in the server buffer and save the list then
grep it as and when necessary.

Your settings regarding what gnus does with groups you aren't
subscribed to may be related.  I noticed A M finds Zombies and Killed
groups.

* Re: Searching for groups?
@ 2003-05-31 14:30         ` Michael Powe
From: Michael Powe @ 2003-05-31 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> basically >> have to load the active file and search it.  i've
    >> tried 'A M' >> but i either have the wrong idea (that it will

    Harry> A M works for me in version 5.10.3 (cvs).  It finds all
    Harry> matching groups in Active file or at least in Killed and
    Harry> Zombie lists.  Including mail groups.

    >>  oh well, if i go into the *Group* buffer and type 'A M'
    >> (capital-A capital-M) and search 'comp.os.' or 'comp.os.*' or
    >> even 'comp\.os\..*', all i get are the handful of
    >> 'comp.os.linux' newsgroups to which i am subscribed.

    >> however, if i search 'alt\.' i get a huge list of alt.* groups;
    >> if i search 'comp\.' i get

    >> 0: comp.security.pgp.test Z 51: it.comp.lang (m) Z 120:
    >> it.comp.lang.assembly Z 400: it.comp.lang.python Z 612:
    >> it.comp.sicurezza.crittografia Z 1325: it.comp.software.p2p Z
    >> 204: it.comp.www.server Z 493: tw.bbs.comp.lang.php

    >> all of which seems whacky to me, as i don't read italian or
    >> chinese.  ;-)

    Harry> I doubt the nntp server sysadmin cares what languages you
    Harry> are fluent in when the active list is compiles.... hehe.

;-)

    Harry> You didn't say what version of gnus.  Or maybe I missed it.
    Harry> Does `A A' get a complete list?  Maybe for interim until
    Harry> you find the problem you could `A A' and then M-x occur
    Harry> REGEX

Gnus v5.10.2

    Harry> Or at least press `g' on in the server buffer and save the
    Harry> list then grep it as and when necessary.

    Harry> Your settings regarding what gnus does with groups you
    Harry> aren't subscribed to may be related.  I noticed A M finds
    Harry> Zombies and Killed groups.

no idea what i might have set that would affect this.  i don't have
much in the way of customization, actually, except in posting-styles.
in fact, i see even that is mostly commented out now.

'A A' does get the complete list, that is usually what i have to do
when i want to look for a group, 'A A' and then C-s.  it works, it's
just not efficient.

mp

- --
Michael Powe		michael@trollope.org		Waterbury CT USA
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it." -- Gene Spafford