* show more facts about auto save file
@ 2002-06-08 22:03 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-08 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today I was greeted  with "gnus auto save file exists, read it?" or
something [that seems to leave no trace of itself in any buffer, even
hidden ones].  Anyway I said "y".  I recommend you show more facts
about the file we are "y"ing about, as it might be some shrapnel that
that y is the y of death.  [Some messed up 1/2 a file.]

Yes, one might switch to another window to inspect it, but we might
not think to do it  at the time.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: show more facts about auto save file
@ 2003-01-05  1:20 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]   ` <uk7hin6hw.fsf@hotpop.com>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-05  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@deadspam.com> writes:

> Today I was greeted  with "gnus auto save file exists, read it?" or
> something [that seems to leave no trace of itself in any buffer, even
> hidden ones].  Anyway I said "y".  I recommend you show more facts
> about the file we are "y"ing about, as it might be some shrapnel that
> that y is the y of death.  [Some messed up 1/2 a file.]

It's usually completely safe to read it, and the contents of the file
are completely incomprehensible to a human bean, so I don't think
displaying the buffer makes much sense.

       [not found]       ` <87hecmmedr.fsf@freezer.burling>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-06  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:

> I've never quite understood when I would or wouldn't want to read it.  I
> always answer `y' but when might I want to answer `n'?

If you've fallen asleep on the `c' key, panicked and killed your
Emacs, you probably don't want to read the file.

* Re: show more facts about auto save file
       [not found]           ` <1y3pl5ki.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
@ 2003-01-07 11:03             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-07 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> While we are speaking of it, I sometimes let my finger rest in thaught
> on the n or space key and "read" several posting by accident, sometimes
> even in several groups. Is there a way to undo this, too?

The framework for doing that exists, but no actual undo functions in
the summary buffer have been implemented.  The commands that are
likely candidates for undoing are mostly the ones that alter
readedness and set/clear marks, and they can be entered into the undo
framework pretty easily, probably.