* Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2005-12-13 15:23 David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-12-13 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody send legitimate mail to info-gnus-english@gnu.org?  It
appears to me to be an unmonitored mail-to-news gateway, which makes
gnu.emacs.gnus the only newsgroup I read that has substantial spam
(ironic, given that the concept originated in news).  spam-stat makes
this a little better, but it's still kind of annoying.

Thanks,

  --dzm

* Re: Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2005-12-13 16:21 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-12-13 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 13 2005, David Z Maze wrote:

> Does anybody send legitimate mail to info-gnus-english@gnu.org?  It
> appears to me to be an unmonitored mail-to-news gateway, which makes
> gnu.emacs.gnus the only newsgroup I read that has substantial spam
> (ironic, given that the concept originated in news).  spam-stat makes
> this a little better, but it's still kind of annoying.

I switched to gmane.emacs.help recently because of the spam.

Other gnu.emacs.* suffer from the same problem, see this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/Pine.LNX.3.96.1051211091856.238A-100000%40acm.acm

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2005-12-13 17:59 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-12-13 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: info-gnus-english

On 12/13/05, David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> wrote:
> Does anybody send legitimate mail to info-gnus-english@gnu.org?  It
> appears to me to be an unmonitored mail-to-news gateway, which makes
> gnu.emacs.gnus the only newsgroup I read that has substantial spam
> (ironic, given that the concept originated in news).  spam-stat makes
> this a little better, but it's still kind of annoying.

But of course, I do.  I might reconsider if you tell me of a usable free
usenet server in North America.

--
"Political systems do not deal easily
with long term threats,

* Re: Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2006-01-06  9:02   ` Sébastien Kirche
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2006-01-06  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 18:12 on déc 13 2005, Ian Zimmerman said :

> On 12/13/05, David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> wrote:
> > Does anybody send legitimate mail to info-gnus-english@gnu.org? It
> > appears to me to be an unmonitored mail-to-news gateway, which makes
> > gnu.emacs.gnus the only newsgroup I read that has substantial spam
> > (ironic, given that the concept originated in news). spam-stat makes
> > this a little better, but it's still kind of annoying.
>
> But of course, I do. I might reconsider if you tell me of a usable
> free usenet server in North America.

Did you find such a server ?

I feel very frustrating to see that some days the only posts are some
spam, whilst in the past all messages were very valuable.

Did someone tried to contact the mail-to-new gateway administrator /
abuse ? I think it is either time set up some antispam or to cut that
junk.

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2006-01-06 14:12   ` Mark T.B. Carroll
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2006-01-06 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Zimmerman <nobrowser@gmail.com> writes:

> But of course, I do.  I might reconsider if you tell me of a usable free
> usenet server in North America.

Can you use this group via quimby.gnus.org?

-- Mark

* Re: Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2006-01-07  3:51     ` nobrowser
From: nobrowser @ 2006-01-07  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> such a server?

No.  It's not like I just started looking.  I have given up on
traditional Usenet some time ago.

Now there's another thing I am trying - a free newsserver without
posting rights, with
posting through mail2news@anon.lcs.mit.edu.  Unfortunately there's a
problem with that
too, see my latest post here.

* Re: Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2006-01-07  3:52     ` nobrowser
From: nobrowser @ 2006-01-07  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can you use this group via quimby.gnus.org?

I don't know about quimby.gnus.org.  Is it a nntp server with posting
rights?

* Re: Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2006-01-07  3:55     ` nobrowser
From: nobrowser @ 2006-01-07  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

By the way, I am looking at the group through Google Groups now and the
spam is pretty bad, too.
Does that mean reading through nntp is no better?

* Re: Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2006-01-08 13:20       ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2006-01-08 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

nobrowser@gmail.com writes:

> By the way, I am looking at the group through Google Groups now and the
> spam is pretty bad, too.
> Does that mean reading through nntp is no better?

In my current summary buffer, spam beats ham 10 articles to 8 (and 9
threads to 2).  The only other unmoderated group I read is
ne.transportation, and that has almost no spam and what it does have
is very arguably topical.

  --dzm

* Re: Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2006-01-15  9:36     ` Fred Chu
From: Fred Chu @ 2006-01-15  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

> At 18:12 on déc 13 2005, Ian Zimmerman said :
>
>> On 12/13/05, David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> wrote:
>> > Does anybody send legitimate mail to info-gnus-english@gnu.org? It
>> > appears to me to be an unmonitored mail-to-news gateway, which makes
>> > gnu.emacs.gnus the only newsgroup I read that has substantial spam
>> > (ironic, given that the concept originated in news). spam-stat makes
>> > this a little better, but it's still kind of annoying.
>>
>> But of course, I do. I might reconsider if you tell me of a usable
>> free usenet server in North America.
>
> Did you find such a server ?
>
> I feel very frustrating to see that some days the only posts are some
> spam, whilst in the past all messages were very valuable.
>
> Did someone tried to contact the mail-to-new gateway administrator /
> abuse ? I think it is either time set up some antispam or to cut that
> junk.
>
> --
> Sébastien Kirche

Good news~
--
Fred Chu
Post by Gnus with Emacs

* Re: Spam-to-news gateway
@ 2006-01-15 11:04       ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2006-01-15 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:36 on Jan 15 2006, Fred Chu said :

> Good news~

Huh ?
--
Sébastien Kirche