* how to get around deprecated function
@ 2015-04-28 22:31 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2015-04-28 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello:

I am constantly losing short pieces of text left in *scratch* and I wrote this
interactive function:

(defun save-scratchtemp ();; M-x scr
  (interactive)
  (switch-to-buffer "*scratch*")
  (mark-whole-buffer)
 (setq start (point) end (mark))
 (append-to-file start end "c:/mydocu~1/scratchtemp.txt")
)

It "works" but according to the docs mark-whole-buffer shouldn't be used this
way.Is there an understandable (to me) right way of doing this or doing
something else that can be invoked as easily?

Thanks,

Ed

* Oops, sorry was Re: how to get around deprecated function
@ 2015-04-28 22:57 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2015-04-28 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

<mhp1ol01cjq@drn.newsguy.com>B. T. Raven28 Apr 2015 15:31:49 -0700

>Hello:
>
>I am constantly losing short pieces of text left in *scratch* and I wrote this
>interactive function:
>
>(defun save-scratchtemp ();; M-x scr
>  (interactive)
>  (switch-to-buffer "*scratch*")
>  (mark-whole-buffer)
> (setq start (point) end (mark))
> (append-to-file start end "c:/mydocu~1/scratchtemp.txt")
>)
>
>It "works" but according to the docs mark-whole-buffer shouldn't be used this
>way.Is there an understandable (to me) right way of doing this or doing
>something else that can be invoked as easily?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ed

This was supposed to go to gnu.emacs.help

Ed