* Re: A bunch of MIME question:  Some MIME parts not button-ized!
       [not found]     ` <84y94t6stq.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-02-06 22:16       ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2003-02-06 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:
>
>> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>>> Gnus shows "(42 parts)" in the mode line of the article buffer for a
>>> message with many parts.
>>
>> Didn't see that.  There weren't *that* many parts.
>
> Well, it shows "(2 parts)" for a message with few parts :-)

Aha!  I was looking at the bottom mode line (under the BBDB buffer),
but this was on the mode line under the *Article* buffer.  Thanks.

>>> You can use C-d on it to debug the MIME structure.
>>
>> What function is this supposed to invoke?  On my system, C-d runs
>> gnus-summary-enter-digest-group.
>
> That's right.  Same here.  Have you tried it on a MIME message?  I
> think it's way cool.

Way cool is right!  Here's what I found:

 .+[6321: Some Person        ] 06-Feb <* related> RE: The subject of this
 .+    [ 188: Some Person        ] 06-Feb <1.* alternative>
 .+        [  50: Some Person        ] 06-Feb <1.1 text>
 .+        [ 125: Some Person        ] 06-Feb <1.2 html>
 .+    [3090: Some Person        ] 06-Feb <2 jpeg> "image001.jpg"
 .+    [3023: Some Person        ] 06-Feb <3 jpeg> "image002.jpg"

It appears the images were *not* part of a multipart/related, so I
don't know if there's any way to have gotten W3 to display them.

>>> You can use K b to see buttons, and then switch from text/plain to
>>> text/html.  I'm not sure if it works, but I think that rendering
>>> text/html with W3 means you get to see the images, too.  (I'm
>>> guessing that the text/html alternative was a multipart/related which
>>> contained three subparts for the text and the two images.)
>>
>> I'll try this.  In this case, I didn't see any buttons for the HTML
>> alternative or for the attached JPEG files.  I'll try 'K b' next
>> time.  In the past, W3 has seemed very slow to me, though perhaps this
>> is from trying to fetch things I'd rather not have fetched anyway.
>> (There's a way to disable remote fetches, isn't there?)
>
> I guess that W3 renders slowly.  I've replaced it with emacs-w3m.
> Maybe I should go back to W3 someday to see what has happened with it.

And I'll have to try w3m again.  I never managed to get it working.

Thanks!

-pd

--
--------
                             Peter Davis

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-02-06 22:16 UTC | newest]