* nnmaildir fails to show new messages
@ 2007-11-09 12:52 Vebjorn Ljosa
From: Vebjorn Ljosa @ 2007-11-09 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

The problem I am having is that gnus-group-get-new-news (g in the
group buffer) does not cause new nnmaildir messages to appear in the
summary buffer or to be included in the count in the group buffer.
The new messages show up, however, if I do a
gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group on the group.

gnus-group-get-new-news causes the new messages to be moved from the
"new" subdirectory of the maildir to the "cur" subdirectory---but I
can I make them show up in the summary and group buffers?

I'm using Gnus 5.11, and my .gnus.el is as follows:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/.nnmaildir/"
					 target-prefix "../maildirs/"))
      gnus-message-archive-method "nnmaildir"
      gnus-message-archive-group "Sent"
      sendmail-program "/opt/local/bin/msmtp"
      gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news.mit.edu")))

(setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R%z%(%d %-23,23f%) %B%s\n"
      gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
				   gnus-thread-sort-by-date))

Thanks,
Vebjorn

* Re: nnmaildir fails to show new messages
@ 2007-11-09 18:27 ` Vebjorn Ljosa
From: Vebjorn Ljosa @ 2007-11-09 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Vebjorn Ljosa <vebjorn@ljosa.com> writes:
> The problem I am having is that gnus-group-get-new-news (g in the
> group buffer) does not cause new nnmaildir messages to appear in the
> summary buffer or to be included in the count in the group buffer.

I didn't find a direct solution, but I found a workaround: Instead of
having fetchmail and maildrop download, split, and deliver to the
maildirs, I now let Gnus handle it.  Gnus-group-get-new-news now works
as expected: Gnus contacts the IMAP server and downloads any new
messages.  (I simply use the IMAP server as a glorified POP server.)

In case it can be of use to anyone, here are the relevant parts of my
.gnus.el:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil)
      gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnmaildir ""
	 (directory "~/.nnmaildir/")
	 (target-prefix "../maildirs/")
	 (expire-age never)
	 (get-new-mail t))
	(nntp "news.mit.edu"))
      gnus-message-archive-method "nnmaildir"
      gnus-message-archive-group "mail.sent"
      sendmail-program "/opt/local/bin/msmtp")

(setq mail-sources '((file)
		     (imap :server "imap.gmail.com" :port 993
		      :stream ssl
		      :user "vebjorn@ljosa.com"
		      :predicate "1:*"
		      :fetchflag "\\Seen \\Deleted")))

The only downside to this setup is that the message is not actually
deleted from Gmail, but put in the "All mail" folder.  Gmail would
actually delete it (which is what I want) if I moved it to Gmail's
"Trash" folder and then marked it as Deleted, but I don't know how to
make Gnus do that.

Vebjorn