* gnus on windows2000
@ 2002-11-01 15:08 Tamas Hauer
From: Tamas Hauer @ 2002-11-01 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

To my great regret I am forced to work on Windows for some
time.  I feel quite comfortable in the Unix - Linux - GNU
world and I carry over as much as I can, first and foremost
Emacs.  Since I know almost nothing about Windows, this
might be the easiest question to reply:

1. I grabbed a precompiled emacs-21.2 and installed on my
   Windows machine without problem.  It seems to work OK.

2. I am now firing up Gnus just to receive this:

shell-command-to-string: Searching for program: no such file or directory, C:\PROGRA~1\RATIONAL\RATION~1\NUTCROOT\mksnt\sh.exe

Can someone tell me how to get over this?

Thanks,

Tamas

--
Tamas Hauer

* Re: gnus on windows2000
@ 2002-11-01 15:32 ` maierh
From: maierh @ 2002-11-01 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 2. I am now firing up Gnus just to receive this:
>
> shell-command-to-string: Searching for program: no such file or
> directory, C:\PROGRA~1\RATIONAL\RATION~1\NUTCROOT\mksnt\sh.exe
>
> Can someone tell me how to get over this?

Maybe you have set the SHELL environment variable. If yes then emacs
tries to use this shell to launch other programs.

Harald

* Re: gnus on windows2000
@ 2002-11-01 17:04   ` Adrian Aichner
From: Adrian Aichner @ 2002-11-01 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> 2. I am now firing up Gnus just to receive this:
    >>
    >> shell-command-to-string: Searching for program: no such file or
    >> directory, C:\PROGRA~1\RATIONAL\RATION~1\NUTCROOT\mksnt\sh.exe
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me how to get over this?

    maierh> Maybe you have set the SHELL environment variable. If yes

The installation of some Rational product has most likely done this.

Likely contenders are Rose or ClearCase.

Tamas, for XEmacs you would set
Options->Troubleshooting->Debug on Error
Options->Troubleshooting->Debug on Signal
Options->Troubleshooting->Debug on Quit
then provoke the error again and send us the *Backtrace* buffer you
get.

It's got to be similar in GNU Emacs.

This will tell us more about the lisp packages involved in this.

Adrian

    maierh> then emacs tries to use this shell to launch other
    maierh> programs.

    maierh> Harald

--
Adrian Aichner