From: Christian Lynbech <christian.lynbech@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: Gnus is losing IMAP articles
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:39:52 +0200	[thread overview]

Edi> No, they aren't deleted.  I can see them from Outlook or from another
Edi> Gnus running on another machine.

I read mail via IMAP towards an Windows Exchange server here at
work. Mail arrive in "INBOX" and I have gnus retrieve mail from
"INBOX" and split them out into a bunch of other folders where I do
the reading.

When I occasionally fire up outlook, it will go to my "INBOX" and
display its contents. It furthermore reads the first message.

I have noticed that if outlook has marked a message as read, gnus will
not handle it anymore, at least in the sense that further splitting of
the "INBOX" will leave behind those messages that Outlook has touched.

The idea here is that it could be that "foreign" mailreaders does
stuff to the messages that makes them disappear to gnus.

I am unsure whether reverting (through Outlook) the read state of such
mails will make it reappear in front of gnus. I also think (but can't
really remember) that if I ask gnus to go to the "INBOX" folder all
such messages do in fact appear to gnus, indicating that the behaviour
described is not really what you ae experiencing.

One approach would to identify some of the missing messages and bash
them around a bit (copy to a new folder, change state etc) with some
of the other readers to see if that will make any difference to gnus.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)