* Re: gnus runs away
       [not found] ` <vaf3crvwm8b.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-09-27 20:06   ` Haines Brown
       [not found]     ` <ofaikr90.fsf@ID-23066.news.dfncis.de>
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-09-27 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:17:24 -0400, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> The node "(gnus)Customization" and its subnode have some information
> on speeding Gnus up.  Be sure to read all sections, not just the one
> on slow network connectivity.  Maybe one of them helps.
>
> kai

Wow, Kai, thanks for the input, but my problem is quite something else
entirely. My gnus does not have a speed problem, but "runs away" in the
sense that it run and runs without managing to get articles and so can't
stop.

Since pan runs ok, it's not a problem at the server end. I didn't change
configuration (~/.gnus), and so its not that gnus can't poll the server.
The flickering DSL modem lights suggest that either I'm querying the
server without results, or, as seems more likely, the file headers are
downloaded, but not saved or registered as downloaded. I don't know where
to take it from here. No messages in /var/log/messages.

Haines Brown

* Re: gnus runs away
       [not found]     ` <ofaikr90.fsf@ID-23066.news.dfncis.de>
@ 2002-09-28 22:27       ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-09-28 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> you could "M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RETURN" (autocompletes the symbol
> to save typing), and when the hang hangs, C-g out of it and check
> _where_ it hangs.  maybe repeat a few times to find out if it really
> is just a small code piece covered, and maybe send the trace.
>
> clemens

I had a full followup that seems to have gone astray, and now I can't get
interesting debugging messages.

With debug enabled, I enter M-x gnus, and it proceeds to read files from
the server. The DSL adapter lights indicating something's happening, but
it just goes on. This afternoon it ran for three hours. If I kill emacs,
the thread goes on.

If I enter Ctl-g, the process stops. Minibuffer says that it is done
checking new news. My list of subcribed groups is displayed in the
group buffer, but each is preceeded with an asterisk. I can sub/unsub.
When I try to catch up on articles. I'm asked if I want to mark as read or
not, and I'm back where I started.

If I enter Ctl-g again, it simply tells me that it is being told to quit
but has no input to do so.

Haines Brown