* cached articles, directory structure
@ 2006-02-23 13:21 Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2006-02-23 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I use gnus (no gnus 0.3, gnus installation und configuration files on
nfs) on several machines. If I press * (gnus-article-enter-cache) in
the sum buffer, the selected article is stored in
~/News/cache/gnu.emacs.gnus (on linux). On another machine the
article is stored in ~/News/cache/gnu/emacs/gnus (solaris). Same is
true for the scoring files. On the first machine they are stored as
~/News/gnu.emacs.gnus.ADAPT, on the other machine the file is
~/News/gnu/emacs/gnus/ADAPT.

I guess the configuration is pretty much the same on every machine,
because the installation is stored on nfs. Any hints?

Thanks
Michael

--
We're back to the times when men were men and wrote their own device drivers
                                                              Linus Torvalds

* Re: cached articles, directory structure
@ 2006-02-23 23:54 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-02-23 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I use gnus (no gnus 0.3, gnus installation und configuration files on
> nfs) on several machines. If I press * (gnus-article-enter-cache) in
> the sum buffer, the selected article is stored in
> ~/News/cache/gnu.emacs.gnus (on linux). On another machine the
> article is stored in ~/News/cache/gnu/emacs/gnus (solaris). Same is
> true for the scoring files. On the first machine they are stored as
> ~/News/gnu.emacs.gnus.ADAPT, on the other machine the file is
> ~/News/gnu/emacs/gnus/ADAPT.

> I guess the configuration is pretty much the same on every machine,
> because the installation is stored on nfs. Any hints?

That is due to the value of the gnus-use-long-file-name variable.
The default value varies according to the system type in which
Gnus runs.  If system-type is usg-unix-v (i.e., Solaris) or
xenix, it is set to nil, otherwise t.  I don't know the reason
why it does so.  Anyway, changing it might cause some problem if
there are some files having already been created according to
it, I guess.

* Re: cached articles, directory structure
@ 2006-02-24 10:23   ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2006-02-24 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> I use gnus (no gnus 0.3, gnus installation und configuration files on
>> nfs) on several machines. If I press * (gnus-article-enter-cache) in
>> the sum buffer, the selected article is stored in
>> ~/News/cache/gnu.emacs.gnus (on linux). On another machine the
>> article is stored in ~/News/cache/gnu/emacs/gnus (solaris). Same is
>> true for the scoring files. On the first machine they are stored as
>> ~/News/gnu.emacs.gnus.ADAPT, on the other machine the file is
>> ~/News/gnu/emacs/gnus/ADAPT.
>
>> I guess the configuration is pretty much the same on every machine,
>> because the installation is stored on nfs. Any hints?
>
> That is due to the value of the gnus-use-long-file-name variable.
> The default value varies according to the system type in which
> Gnus runs.  If system-type is usg-unix-v (i.e., Solaris) or
> xenix, it is set to nil, otherwise t.
that's it, thank you. g-u-l-f-n is t now for all my machines and it
seems to work.

>  I don't know the reason
I am curious about it, too. IMHO it can't be a file system
issue. AFAIK ufs and ext2 have nearly the same limits in filename
length and path length.

> why it does so.  Anyway, changing it might cause some problem if
> there are some files having already been created according to
> it, I guess.
Maybe there is a way to convert. But I have just deleted the unwanted
directory structures.

Michael