* using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-04 20:11 Hadron Quark
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-05-04 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Firstly, is anyone successfully connecting and reading from
pop.gmail.com?

Secondly, how do you maintain contact lists?

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-04 20:29 ` Oliver Jennrich
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Oliver Jennrich @ 2006-05-04 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Firstly, is anyone successfully connecting and reading from
> pop.gmail.com?

There was a thread quite recently on pop and authinfo.

> Secondly, how do you maintain contact lists?

BBDB

--
Space - The final frontier

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-04 20:34   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-05-04 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Jennrich <oliver.jennrich@gmx.net> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Firstly, is anyone successfully connecting and reading from
>> pop.gmail.com?
>
> There was a thread quite recently on pop and authinfo.
>

>> Secondly, how do you maintain contact lists?
>
> BBDB
>
> --
> Space - The final frontier

do you have a link to a google archive please? The only one I can find
just talks about not using authinfo - nothing to do with the succesful
connecting and email transfer from   pop.gmail.com.

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-04 21:09     ` Oliver Jennrich
From: Oliver Jennrich @ 2006-05-04 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Oliver Jennrich <oliver.jennrich@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Firstly, is anyone successfully connecting and reading from
>>> pop.gmail.com?
>>
>> There was a thread quite recently on pop and authinfo.

> do you have a link to a google archive please? The only one I can find
> just talks about not using authinfo - nothing to do with the succesful
> connecting and email transfer from   pop.gmail.com.

No, but as the poster asked how to do that because he conneted to
gmail.  So my guess is that the usual way works:

(setq mail-sources '(( pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
				    :user "yourgmailname"
				    :password "yourgmail password")))

Have you tried that?

--
Space - The final frontier

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-04 21:43 ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-05-04 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Firstly, is anyone successfully connecting and reading from
> pop.gmail.com?

There is a page specific to GmailGnus in emacswiki.

> Secondly, how do you maintain contact lists?

BBDB.

--
Leon

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-05  1:58 ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2006-05-05  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Secondly, how do you maintain contact lists?

I have never used bbdb, but my .mailrc file does me just fine.

Then again, I am rather lonely and don't know a lot of people.

rdc

--
\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Do something unusual today.  Pay a bill.
\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

* Re: using gnus for mail
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-05-05  3:22 ` xyblor
From: xyblor @ 2006-05-05  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
> Firstly, is anyone successfully connecting and reading from
> pop.gmail.com?

I'm working on this myself now, with no success yet, but I do know
that have to connect with SSL on port 995. And of course you need to
enable pop access in the Gmail options. There was an extensive thread
about gnus and gmail a while ago:

http://groups.google.ca/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/354ae098fe8476ac/fe90849e1de6b294%23fe90849e1de6b294

which mentions a website about this:

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail

I suspect this website is obsolete in that as you don't need to get
CVS versions of everything now: pop3, ssl, and starttls came standard
with the latest XEmacs.

Also, I don't think .authinfo is necessary. If you don't specify a
user and password, you get prompted for it anyway.

Good luck, and if you if have success, I would like to know how you
did it.

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-05  4:52   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-05-05  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

xyblor <xyblor@gmail.com> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>> Firstly, is anyone successfully connecting and reading from
>> pop.gmail.com?
>
> I'm working on this myself now, with no success yet, but I do know
> that have to connect with SSL on port 995. And of course you need to
> enable pop access in the Gmail options. There was an extensive thread
> about gnus and gmail a while ago:

I gave up on getting gnus to get the mail itself : I tried various
incantations and examples I googled up - all that little bit
different. In the end I reverted to an old mutt/fetchmail/procmail
config I had lying around and then configured gnus to recognise a
maildir format as created by procmail.

> http://groups.google.ca/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/354ae098fe8476ac/fe90849e1de6b294%23fe90849e1de6b294
>
> which mentions a website about this:
>
> http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail
>
> I suspect this website is obsolete in that as you don't need to get
> CVS versions of everything now: pop3, ssl, and starttls came standard
> with the latest XEmacs.
>
> Also, I don't think .authinfo is necessary. If you don't specify a
> user and password, you get prompted for it anyway.
>
> Good luck, and if you if have success, I would like to know how you
> did it.

And to you : please do post your solution for google completeness.

--
lithp : syntax error

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-05  4:56       ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-05-05  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Jennrich <oliver.jennrich@gmx.net> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Oliver Jennrich <oliver.jennrich@gmx.net> writes:

>>> There was a thread quite recently on pop and authinfo.
>
>> do you have a link to a google archive please? The only one I can find
>> just talks about not using authinfo - nothing to do with the succesful
>> connecting and email transfer from   pop.gmail.com.
>
> No, but as the poster asked how to do that because he conneted to
> gmail.  So my guess is that the usual way works:

It doesnt. I dont know why. See other posts coming from frustrated pop
users.

Clearly, It works for you. What is in your .gnus.el?

> (setq mail-sources '(( pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
> 				    :user "yourgmailname"
> 				    :password "yourgmail password")))
>
> Have you tried that?

Yes. It doesnt. I dont know why. For a start it uses ssl an port 995 : I
tried lots of examples including loading ssl, pop3 etc but couldnt get
it working and my knowledge of emacs elisp is not good enough to know
why.

Now I simply have:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnmaildir "MyMail" (directory "~/Mail/"))))

in my .gnus.el and rely on fetchmail and procmail which still worked
from a previous attempt to use MUTT as my email client (I stopped
because of Mutt's apparent poor showing in contact list handling).

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-05 13:39     ` xyblor
From: xyblor @ 2006-05-05 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Firstly, is anyone successfully connecting and reading from
>>> pop.gmail.com?

I finally got it to work. I can now receive my Gmail. This is how I
did it:

1) Install openssl, unless you already have it.

2) Download this version of "pop3.el" that comes with T-Gnus:
http://cvs.m17n.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/root/gnus/lisp/pop3.el?rev=1.6.30.21.4.25

3) Rename it "tgnus-pop3.el" and put it somewhere in your load path,
e.g. /XEmacs/site-packages/lisp/

4) Compile it with (byte-compile-file (locate-library "tgnus-pop3.el"))

5) Add the following to .gnus.el:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

(require 'ssl)
;;; You might not need to require ssl.

(eval-after-load "mail-source" (load "tgnus-pop3"))

(setq mail-sources '((pop
                      :server "pop.gmail.com"
                      :port 995
                      :user "my-user-name"
                      :password "my-password"
                      :connection ssl
                      :leave t)))

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-05 18:49         ` Oliver Jennrich
From: Oliver Jennrich @ 2006-05-05 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Oliver Jennrich <oliver.jennrich@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

>>> do you have a link to a google archive please? The only one I can find
>>> just talks about not using authinfo - nothing to do with the succesful
>>> connecting and email transfer from   pop.gmail.com.
>>
>> No, but as the poster asked how to do that because he conneted to
>> gmail.  So my guess is that the usual way works:
>
> It doesnt. I dont know why. See other posts coming from frustrated pop
> users.
>
> Clearly, It works for you. What is in your .gnus.el?

No, it doesn't. Or better, it might. I never tried it, I just assumed
that pop.gmail.com supports the usual pop.

Sorry for the confusion

--
Space - The final frontier

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-06 12:26       ` Mr. Big
From: Mr. Big @ 2006-05-06 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I followed your steps but it doesn't work. When I start gnus I get
"error (Spawning child process)". Any idea what that means? openssl is
in my path.

I'm running emacs cvs (22.0.50) which contains GNUS 5.11.
WinXP.

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-06 15:53         ` Mr. Big
From: Mr. Big @ 2006-05-06 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did actually solve it but through another route, using fetchmail.

Any idea how to use gmail for sending mail?
Now it stops when gnutls-cli is started (cygwin). I get the following
message:

Sending...
Sending via mail...
Opening STARTTLS connection to `smtp.gmail.com'...done
220 mx.gmail.com ESMTP z21sm375999qbc
250-mx.gmail.com at your service
250-SIZE 20971520
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS               (nothing more happens)

and this is my .gnus.el:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "username"
nil)))
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "smtp.gmail.com");    added
(setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "smtp.gmail.com");   added

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-06 23:14           ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2006-05-06 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mr. Big" <andersjak@gmail.com> writes:

> Any idea how to use gmail for sending mail?
> and this is my .gnus.el:
>
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "username"
> nil)))
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
> (setq smtpmail-local-domain "smtp.gmail.com");    added
> (setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "smtp.gmail.com");   added

I have everything working except for the smtpmail-local-domain and
smtpmail-sendto-domain variables that you've set.  Try removing them
and seeing if that works.

--
burton samograd					kruhft .at. gmail
kruhft.blogspot.com	www.myspace.com/kruhft	metashell.blogspot.com

* Re: using gnus for mail
@ 2006-05-07  1:40         ` xyblor
From: xyblor @ 2006-05-07  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mr. Big" <andersjak@gmail.com> writes:
> I followed your steps but it doesn't work.

Actually, it seems I was overly hasty in posting that step-by-step
guide, since I've now got it working /without/ the pop3.el from
TGnus. For some reason it just starting working with the default
pop3.el from lib-mail (or is it mail-lib?). It's been working like
that for a couple days now.

>When I start gnus I get "error (Spawning child process)". Any idea
>what that means? openssl is in my path.
>
> I'm running emacs cvs (22.0.50) which contains GNUS 5.11.
> WinXP.

I never got any errors like that, but I'm using XEmacs. If you want to
track down the problem, there are some things you could try:

(setq pop3-debug t)
;then try to connect

(load "ssl")
(open-ssl-stream "ssl-process" (get-buffer-create "tls") "pop.gmail.com" 995)