* How to find José?
@ 2010-04-04 15:38 Damian
From: Damian @ 2010-04-04 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I store all my work email using the nnml backend. There are search
engines to search through my email, but the problem comes when I
search for words containing utf-8 characters: there's no way to find
words such as "José", "mañana", "abraço", or "geëvalueerd".

I found in the web that namazu supports utf8 (unlike swish-e), but so
far I haven't succeeded. Moreover, namazu do not indexes words in the
body of the messages.

Is there a workaround? What do you use to search through your mails in gnus?

Thanks in advance,
Damian.

* Re: How to find José?
@ 2010-04-06 10:01 ` Damian
From: Damian @ 2010-04-06 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I answer to myself in case it can be helpful to somebody.

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I store all my work email using the nnml backend. There are search
> engines to search through my email, but the problem comes when I
> search for words containing utf-8 characters: there's no way to find
> words such as "José", "mañana", "abraço", or "geëvalueerd".
>
> I found in the web that namazu supports utf8 (unlike swish-e), but so
> far I haven't succeeded. Moreover, namazu do not indexes words in the
> body of the messages.
Nope, namazu doesn't offer utf8 support.

> Is there a workaround? What do you use to search through your mails in gnus?
The solution I found was to use dovecot as a local imap server.
Dovecot indexes your mails and allows you to search them using the
imap search function (which is called through gnus). The only drawback
is that you cannot use regular expressions and the search is not as
fast as with the other search engines (but it is better than using the
microsoft exchange server they use at work).

I hope this may help somebody,
Damian.

PS: I wonder how many people is actually reading this list. My guess:
number_of_people_using_gnus / 3.1416.

* Re: How to find José?
@ 2010-04-06 15:25   ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2010-04-06 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> writes:

> I answer to myself in case it can be helpful to somebody.
>
> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I store all my work email using the nnml backend. There are search
>> engines to search through my email, but the problem comes when I
>> search for words containing utf-8 characters: there's no way to find
>> words such as "José", "mañana", "abraço", or "geëvalueerd".
>>
>> I found in the web that namazu supports utf8 (unlike swish-e), but so
>> far I haven't succeeded. Moreover, namazu do not indexes words in the
>> body of the messages.
> Nope, namazu doesn't offer utf8 support.

Did you check mairix?

--
John Sullivan
Emacs Planner Maintainer

* Re: How to find José?
@ 2010-04-07  7:04     ` Damian
From: Damian @ 2010-04-07  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sullivan; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:25 PM, John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> wrote:
> Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I answer to myself in case it can be helpful to somebody.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I store all my work email using the nnml backend. There are search
>>> engines to search through my email, but the problem comes when I
>>> search for words containing utf-8 characters: there's no way to find
>>> words such as "José", "mañana", "abraço", or "geëvalueerd".
>>>
>>> I found in the web that namazu supports utf8 (unlike swish-e), but so
>>> far I haven't succeeded. Moreover, namazu do not indexes words in the
>>> body of the messages.
>> Nope, namazu doesn't offer utf8 support.
>>

> Did you check mairix?
Yes, but as far as I know it doesn't offer utf8 support either.

I was thinking that it would be really nice if I could use gnus to
interface beagle-search, since beagle indexes my emails correctly (and
find them really fast). Since emacs 23 there is xesam support, but I
never succeeded in integrating emacs+xesam+beagle. And even if I do,
I'm not so sure I could make gnus use xesam as a search engine.

Of course, all of this can be coded, but I was looking for quicker solution.