From: Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler+usenet@gsm-mailhost.de.lucent.com>
Subject: multiple mailcap entries
Date: 09 Apr 2003 15:10:00 +0200	[thread overview]

On my Solaris workstation I use qvpunix to read msword and excel files.
I've used the following entry in my .mailcap file to read msword files
automatically, when I press enter on a msword attachment:

 application/msword; qvpunix -mn %s

This has been working fine. Now I tried to do the same for excel files
and added:

 application/octet-stream; qvpunix -mn %s

But this doesn't work, instead gnus asks me where to save the attachment.
The difference between these to entries seems to be that the variable
mailcap-mime-data contains (amongst many others) only one entry for
application/msword , but 2 for application/octet-stream:

(("application"
  ("octet-stream"
   (viewer . "qvpunix -mn %s")
   (type . "application/octet-stream"))
  ("msword"
   (viewer . "qvpunix -mn %s")
   (type . "application/msword"))
  ("octet-stream"
   (viewer . mailcap-save-binary-file)
   (non-viewer . t)
   (type . "application/octet-stream"))
  ...))

and function mailcap-mime-info returns mailcap-save-binary-file as viewer
for "application/octet-stream", i.e. the 2nd entry.

I thought that entries in ~/.mailcap would have highest preference, but it
seems to be the opposite. It seems that I have to modify the variable
mailcap-mime-data instead or do I miss something?

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
Let's see, now that I am done.......... :w  :q  :wq  :wq! ^d  X exit
X Q  :quitbye  CtrlAltDel   ~~q  :~q  logout  save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz
^[ZZ ZZZZ  ^H  ^@  ^L  ^[c  ^# ^E ^X ^I ^T  ?  help  helpquit ^D  ^d
^C ^c ^x^c helpexit ?Quit ?q ^Kx /QY   Oooops..........   Discs synced;
halted