* Re: Persistently ticked off!
       [not found]   ` <qk65zzyxth.fsf@mail.jonesctr.org>
@ 2002-07-02  9:01     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-02  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Chapal <schapal@mail.jonesctr.org> writes:

> No, the older articles aren't there at all.  The newer ones, that are
> still on the server, don't have any marks.  I've noticed now, also,
> that the scoring highlighting isn't working either. ??

Hm.  Hmmmm....  Ah!

I suggest that you make a copy of `find ~/News -print', then start
the new Gnus and mark one article as persistent, then do the same
`find' command again and compare the two outputs.

I'm guessing that the two Gnusae write to different directories.
Perhaps the *-long-file-names variables are different in the two
Gnusae?  Or nnheader-file-name-translation-alist is different?

kai

* Re: Persistently ticked off!
@ 2002-07-02 13:00       ` Scott Chapal
From: Scott Chapal @ 2002-07-02 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai   Großjohann) writes:

> Scott Chapal <schapal@mail.jonesctr.org> writes:

> Hm.  Hmmmm....  Ah!
>
> I suggest that you make a copy of `find ~/News -print', then start
> the new Gnus and mark one article as persistent, then do the same
> `find' command again and compare the two outputs.

> I'm guessing that the two Gnusae write to different directories.

Precisely, Sherlock.  Wow good sleuthing!

2% find ~/News -print > old_gnus_News
3% find ~/News -print > new_gnus_News
4% diff old_gnus_News new_gnus_News
527a528,530

> /home/schapal/News/cache/comp.lang.perl.moderated
> /home/schapal/News/cache/comp.lang.perl.moderated/8155
> /home/schapal/News/cache/comp.lang.perl.moderated/.overview

The previous version (5.8.7) used:

/home/schapal/News/cache/comp/lang/perl/moderated
/home/schapal/News/cache/comp/lang/perl/moderated/6035
/home/schapal/News/cache/comp/lang/perl/moderated/6036

> Perhaps the *-long-file-names variables are different in the two
> Gnusae?  Or nnheader-file-name-translation-alist is different?

Well, these variables don't seem to be used in either version?

I've found nnmail-long-file-names in 5.8.7 and 5.8.8, but that doesnt
seem to apply...

nnheader-file-name-translation-alist isn't set in 5.8.7 or 5.8.8 and
doesn't seem to occur in 5.9.0. ?

--
Scott Chapal