* BBDB - address alias
@ 2006-05-04 20:34 Oliver Jennrich
From: Oliver Jennrich @ 2006-05-04 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

is there a way to teach BBDB address aliases? Suppose you want to
store the contact details of A. Smith, B. Jones and C. Miller, all of
them are with ACME Inc. Obviously, you don't want to enter their
office addresses more than once but have just one entry for ACME
Inc. and then just an alias for ACME in the Smith, Jones and Miller
records.

Does anyone know how to achieve that?
--
Space - The final frontier

* Re: BBDB - address alias
@ 2006-05-04 21:40 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-05-04 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 04 2006, Oliver Jennrich wrote:

> is there a way to teach BBDB address aliases? Suppose you want to
> store the contact details of A. Smith, B. Jones and C. Miller, all of
> them are with ACME Inc. Obviously, you don't want to enter their
> office addresses more than once but have just one entry for ACME
> Inc. and then just an alias for ACME in the Smith, Jones and Miller
> records.
>
> Does anyone know how to achieve that?

Add a mail-alias field "ACME" to those people in your BBDB:

,----[ (info "(bbdb)Mail Sending Interfaces") ]
|    For convenience there is the function `bbdb-add-or-remove-mail-alias'
| bound to `a' which adds an alias to one or multiple records when
| prefixed by a `*'.  Called with a prefix argument `C-u' it will remove
| the given alias.
|
|    If more than one person has the same mail-alias, then that alias
| expands to the addresses of all of those people; in this way you can
| maintain mailing lists within the BBDB.
|
| [...]
|    To actually define the aliases which are stored in the BBDB, call the
| function `bbdb-define-all-aliases' from your `mail-setup-hook' (or
| `message-setup-hook' if you use Message mode coming with Gnus).  This
| will search the database, and call `define-mail-alias' to define each
| of the resulting aliases.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: BBDB - address alias
@ 2006-05-04 22:30   ` Oliver Jennrich
From: Oliver Jennrich @ 2006-05-04 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Thu, May 04 2006, Oliver Jennrich wrote:
>
>> is there a way to teach BBDB address aliases? Suppose you want to
>> store the contact details of A. Smith, B. Jones and C. Miller, all of
>> them are with ACME Inc. Obviously, you don't want to enter their
>> office addresses more than once but have just one entry for ACME
>> Inc. and then just an alias for ACME in the Smith, Jones and Miller
>> records.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to achieve that?
>
> Add a mail-alias field "ACME" to those people in your BBDB:

Yes, I know. I didn't make myself clear. I was thinking about the
postal address of ACME Inc.

> ,----[ (info "(bbdb)Mail Sending Interfaces") ]
> |    For convenience there is the function `bbdb-add-or-remove-mail-alias'
> | bound to `a' which adds an alias to one or multiple records when
> | prefixed by a `*'.  Called with a prefix argument `C-u' it will remove
> | the given alias.
> |
> |    If more than one person has the same mail-alias, then that alias
> | expands to the addresses of all of those people; in this way you can
> | maintain mailing lists within the BBDB.

Yes, I'm doing that. But what I want is an almost opposite
feature. Defining an 'alias' for common information, such as the
company's address, the phone-number of the switchboard etc., so that I
don't have to type them over and over again and can maintain them at
*one* place.

Yes, I'm using bbdb for wirting the occasional snail mail letter...

--
Space - The final frontier

* Re: BBDB - address alias
@ 2006-05-05  7:42     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-05-05  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 05 2006, Oliver Jennrich wrote:

> Yes, I know. I didn't make myself clear. I was thinking about the
> postal address of ACME Inc.

in this case, maybe you'd better ask on the bbdb list[1] (or a general
Emacs newsgroup[2]) instead of the Gnus list.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] bbdb-info<at>lists.sourceforge.net aka gmane.emacs.bbdb.user

[2] comp.emacs
--
       ,,,
      (o o)