* splitting mail of >1000 lines?
@ 2002-09-12 21:34 David Carlton
       [not found] ` <ro1vg5aydd9.fsf@jackfruit.Stanford.EDU>
From: David Carlton @ 2002-09-12 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems that, when I send out mail using message-mode that is more
than 1000 lines long, it is automatically getting split up into
multiple message/partial messages.  And I really don't want this to
happen.

But I can't figure out what's causing it; I didn't see anything in the
Gnus sources that should do that.  I know about
message-send-mail-partially-limit; but the messages in question aren't
a million characters long, and even if they were it looks like it
would prompt me before splitting the message.

But it only happens with message-mode; it doesn't happen if I send
mail with VM or with the default mail mode in XEmacs.  Like I've said,
I can't find anything remotely relevant in the Gnus sources (by which
I mean xemacs-packages/lisp/gnus/*.el); could there be code elsewhere
doing this that message-mode calls?

Any suggestions?  I'm using Gnus 5.8.8 and XEmacs 21.4.6.

David Carlton              |  <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
carlton@math.stanford.edu  |  Go books: <http://www.gobooks.info/>

       Yow!  Am I cleansed yet?!

* Re: splitting mail of >1000 lines?
       [not found]   ` <m3vg5aeo3d.fsf@defun.localdomain>
@ 2002-09-13  1:42     ` David Carlton
From: David Carlton @ 2002-09-13  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 02:21:26 +0200, Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> said:
> David Carlton <carlton@math.stanford.edu> writes:
>>
>> I must say, though: given the presence (and default values) of
>> mime-editor/split-message and mime-editor/message-default-max-lines,

> These two options are definitely not part of Gnus.  Look at your config
> to see if are loading some other MIME package, SEMI, APEL or
> some such.  What does `C-h v mime-editor/split-message' say?

> Gnus gets upset if you use another non-Gnus MIME-package -- actually,
> I'm a bit surprised that you haven't seen any other problems.

All right, I'm a bit of a dolt today.  Sigh.

I just noticed that I have the line

(require 'mime-setup)

at the bottom of my .gnus.  I assume it's been there for years and
years, that at one point it was useful or even necessary, but that
this no longer is the case (and probably hasn't been for a while).
I'll take it out tomorrow and restart Emacs and see what happens.

Silly me.

David Carlton              |  <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
carlton@math.stanford.edu  |  Go books: <http://www.gobooks.info/>

       ..  he dominates the DECADENT SUBWAY SCENE.