* Gnus org-mode link problems in org 9.3
@ 2019-12-04 16:14 Bob Newell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bob Newell @ 2019-12-04 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english, emacs-orgmode

Aloha,

Posting to both org-mode and gnus groups.

Just updated to latest org (9.3 of 3 December) on Emacs 26.3.1
and my gnus link functions seem to have quit.

Now, whenever I do C-c C-o on an email link I get something like this:

org-link-search: No match for fuzzy expression: gnus:nnimap+imap.gmail.com:%5BGmail%5D/All%20Mail#CAN9LUGf6QKkyxt9EWJJs+hOYC6yWJASFT4K4hV5Zr2D10VyJWA@mail.gmail.com

Further, when I want to set up a todo with C-c c t when in a
gnus message (article), I now get

org-capture: Capture template ‘t’: No method for storing a link from this buffer

Does anyone else see any of this or just my problem? Any ideas?

Mahalo in advance,

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: Gnus org-mode link problems in org 9.3
@ 2019-12-04 16:31 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2019-12-04 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: emacs-org list, info-gnus-english

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 11:27 AM Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> Posting to both org-mode and gnus groups.
>
> Just updated to latest org (9.3 of 3 December) on Emacs 26.3.1
> and my gnus link functions seem to have quit.
>
> Now, whenever I do C-c C-o on an email link I get something like this:
>
> org-link-search: No match for fuzzy expression: gnus:nnimap+imap.gmail.com:
> %5BGmail%5D/All%20Mail#
> CAN9LUGf6QKkyxt9EWJJs+hOYC6yWJASFT4K4hV5Zr2D10VyJWA@mail.gmail.com

Very strange! Just an hour back, my test suite failed because earlier
org-link-unescape used to unhex but now it doesn't. I haven't yet traced
back to the commit where this change happened.

Then replacing org-link-unescape with url-unhex-string fixed my use case[1].

Not sure if the issue you are seeing is because of the same cause.

[1]:
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/ox-hugo/commit/4badf135967c03c402ef8fc636ac4968ac98e57c

* Re: Gnus org-mode link problems in org 9.3
@ 2019-12-04 16:33   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2019-12-04 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: emacs-org list, info-gnus-english

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 11:31 AM Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure if the issue you are seeing is because of the same cause.

It's very much likely that's the case:

From https://orgmode.org/Changes.html :

> The old org-link-escape and org-link-unescape functions have been renamed
into org-link-encode and org-link-decode.

* Re: Gnus org-mode link problems in org 9.3
@ 2019-12-04 16:36 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-12-04 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, info-gnus-english

On Wednesday,  4 Dec 2019 at 08:14, Bob Newell wrote:
> Just updated to latest org (9.3 of 3 December) on Emacs 26.3.1
> and my gnus link functions seem to have quit.
>
> Now, whenever I do C-c C-o on an email link I get something like this:

I updated both Emacs and org mode (both from git) this morning and have
had no problems with opening gnus email links from org, something I've
been doing quite a lot today in fact.

Just a data point...

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.3-21-g36753e

* Re: Gnus org-mode link problems in org 9.3
@ 2019-12-04 16:41     ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2019-12-04 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: info-gnus-english, emacs-org list

Thanks for the input! But I don't think org-link-escape is the
problem for me. In the documentation for the new org changes
there is a link conversion function. I ran this to fix all my
links and still got the same problem.

It also wouldn't explain my todo capture template failure,
either.

Of course, I'll keep researching, but I may temporarily try to
revert to the previous org release (if I can figure out how!)

mahalo

--

@ 2019-12-04 17:01   ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2019-12-04 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: info-gnus-english, emacs-orgmode

Just to update, reversion to an earlier org-mode makes these
problems go away.

That still doesn't parse the question of whether there is
something in my own setup that now doesn't work as opposed to
a more general problem.

Continuing work ....
--

@ 2019-12-04 22:39 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2019-12-04 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have solved this problem after some investigation. It could
perhaps apply to other users.

I had customized the value 'org-modules'. This was fine so
long as we had 'org-gnus' (and other similar modules). But in
org 9.3 this has become 'ol-gnus' (and ol-bbdb and so
on). Now, 'ol-gnus' and the rest are included in the stock
value of org-modules, but this was over-ridden by my
customized version. No more org-gnus to load! So I lost
functionality as described in my complaint.

I found this by going through '*Messages*' where the message
"Problems loading org-gnus" (et al) appeared.

I didn't see anything in the 'incompatible changes' log for
org, but perhaps this is too obscure. Oh well. This occupied a
few hours but it wasn't good beach weather today.

Aloha,

--

@ 2019-12-05 22:17   ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-12-05 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: info-gnus-english, emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday,  4 Dec 2019 at 14:39, Bob Newell wrote:
> This occupied a few hours but it wasn't good beach weather today.

:-)

Glad you tracked this down.
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.6-544-gd215c3