* Removing the first nntp server from the list
@ 2023-01-25 10:09 Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2023-01-25 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

If I have in .gnus a structure like

  (setq gnus-select-method

and then subsequently

  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods

How do I remove the first server from the list? Should I just replace it
with the second server? I think the article numbers would be messed up.

* Re: Removing the first nntp server from the list
@ 2023-01-25 11:07 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2023-01-25 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond writes:

> If I have in .gnus a structure like
>
>   (setq gnus-select-method
>
> and then subsequently
>
>   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>
> How do I remove the first server from the list? Should I just replace it
> with the second server? I think the article numbers would be messed up.

You can set gnus-select-method to '(nnnil) - then it will do nothing,
and everything else will be "secondary" select-methods. This way you
also avoid having the special case for the first method.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "We can discuss sexism in survival situations when         Adam Sjøgren
  I get back."                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Removing the first nntp server from the list
@ 2023-01-25 11:21   ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2023-01-25 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Richmond writes:
>
>> If I have in .gnus a structure like
>>
>>   (setq gnus-select-method
>>
>> and then subsequently
>>
>>   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>
>> How do I remove the first server from the list? Should I just replace it
>> with the second server? I think the article numbers would be messed up.
>
> You can set gnus-select-method to '(nnnil) - then it will do nothing,
> and everything else will be "secondary" select-methods. This way you
> also avoid having the special case for the first method.

Thanks it worked. I thought you had a repeating n key, but it's really a
thing, nnnil.

https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/lisp/gnus/nnnil.el

* Re: Removing the first nntp server from the list
@ 2023-01-25 16:37   ` Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2023-01-25 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Richmond writes:
>
>> If I have in .gnus a structure like
>>
>>   (setq gnus-select-method
>>
>> and then subsequently
>>
>>   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>
>> How do I remove the first server from the list? Should I just replace it
>> with the second server? I think the article numbers would be messed up.
>
> You can set gnus-select-method to '(nnnil) - then it will do nothing,
> and everything else will be "secondary" select-methods. This way you
> also avoid having the special case for the first method.

I wonder why simple 'nil is not accepted as well: it's extremely
confusing.

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov

* Re: Removing the first nntp server from the list
@ 2023-01-25 18:31     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2023-01-25 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sergey writes:

> I wonder why simple 'nil is not accepted as well: it's extremely
> confusing.

nnnil is the "do nothing" backend, the name is similar to eg nnimap,
nnspool, and nnmbox.

The historical split between the primary select method and the secondary
methods is more confusing to me :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Too much, too soon                                        Adam Sjøgren
  You're way out of tune                               asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Removing the first nntp server from the list
@ 2023-01-26  6:46       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-01-26  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> The historical split between the primary select method and
> the secondary methods is more confusing to me :-)

Exactly.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Removing the first nntp server from the list
@ 2023-01-26  6:52     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-01-26  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond wrote:

> Thanks it worked. I thought you had a repeating n key, but
> it's really a thing, nnnil.
>
> https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/lisp/gnus/nnnil.el

What's nn anyway, network news?

--

@ 2023-01-26 19:47       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-01-26 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>
>> Thanks it worked. I thought you had a repeating n key, but
>> it's really a thing, nnnil.
>>
>> https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/lisp/gnus/nnnil.el
>
> What's nn anyway, network news?

The naming is built on the original protocol, nntp: Network News
Transfer Protocol. As Gnus grew the ability to speak more protocols,
they all got the same nn* prefix. I actually find it sort of handy for
distinguishing discussions about IMAP or maildir from the Gnus backends,
but I agree there shouldn't be any need for nnnil.

* Re: Removing the first nntp server from the list
@ 2023-01-26 20:05         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-01-26 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>>> Thanks it worked. I thought you had a repeating n key, but
>>> it's really a thing, nnnil.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/lisp/gnus/nnnil.el
>>
>> What's nn anyway, network news?
>
> The naming is built on the original protocol, nntp: Network
> News Transfer Protocol. As Gnus grew the ability to speak
> more protocols, they all got the same nn* prefix. I actually
> find it sort of handy for distinguishing discussions about
> IMAP or maildir from the Gnus backends, but I agree there
> shouldn't be any need for nnnil.

That, the last thing, I didn't say tho.

We need nil (and /dev/null) so why not nnnil?

--

@ 2023-01-26 20:15           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-01-26 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> That, the last thing, I didn't say tho.
>
> We need nil (and /dev/null) so why not nnnil?

And `ignore' etc ...

--

@ 2023-01-26 20:34           ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2023-01-26 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>>> What's nn anyway, network news?
>>
>> The naming is built on the original protocol, nntp: Network
>> News Transfer Protocol. As Gnus grew the ability to speak
>> more protocols, they all got the same nn* prefix. I actually
>> find it sort of handy for distinguishing discussions about
>> IMAP or maildir from the Gnus backends, but I agree there
>> shouldn't be any need for nnnil.
>
> That, the last thing, I didn't say tho.
>
> We need nil (and /dev/null) so why not nnnil?

We needs The Knights Who Say nnnil!

* Re: Removing the first nntp server from the list
@ 2023-01-26 20:41             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-01-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond wrote:

>> We need nil (and /dev/null) so why not nnnil?
>
> We needs The Knights Who Say nnnil!

Heroes of nnnight and nnnagic!

--

@ 2023-04-04 19:13     ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2023-04-04 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:
>
>> Richmond writes:
>>
>>> If I have in .gnus a structure like
>>>
>>>   (setq gnus-select-method
>>>
>>> and then subsequently
>>>
>>>   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>>
>>> How do I remove the first server from the list? Should I just replace it
>>> with the second server? I think the article numbers would be messed up.
>>
>> You can set gnus-select-method to '(nnnil) - then it will do nothing,
>> and everything else will be "secondary" select-methods. This way you
>> also avoid having the special case for the first method.
>>

> Thanks it worked. I thought you had a repeating n key, but it's really a
> thing, nnnil.
>
> https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/lisp/gnus/nnnil.el

I think I have discovered an unexpected side effect of this, which is
that I no longer have a folder containing sent articles. Can I create a
new one? Maybe it is just a coincidence but I used to have a folder with
sent articles in, and now I do not.