From: Emin Martinian <emin@allegro.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: automatically moving deleted mail to deleted folder
Date: 24 Apr 2003 20:05:21 -0400	[thread overview]

Frank Cusack <fcusack@fcusack.com> writes:

> On 24 Apr 2003 15:06:44 -0400 Emin Martinian <emin@allegro.mit.edu> wrote:
> > I started using GNUS recently and one feature I would like is to have
> > my deleted mail stored in a deleted folder.
> > I had set up the expiry stuff to make this happen but it
> > doesn't seem to work with IMAP folders so I wrote the code below.
>
> Really?  Works fine for me with the following (using Oort Gnus):
>
> (setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
>       (lambda (group)
>         (cond ((string= group "user.frank.Trash")
>                 31)
>               (t
>                 'immediate))))
> (setq nnmail-expiry-target
>       (lambda (group)
>         (cond ((string-match "^user\\.frank\\.auto\\." group)
>                 'delete)
>               (t
>                 "user.frank.Trash"))))

I tried inserting your code into my .gnus file (after deleting my own
code from the .gnus file) and it didn't work.  Nothing was inserted
into the trash group; the expired messages just disappeared.  I think
what is happening is that gnus-group-nnimap-expunge is getting called
and deleting all expired messages.  Note I don't ever call
gnus-group-nnimap-expunge, but I'm guessing it is built into GNUS.

I'm using GNUS version 5.8.8 (which seems like the latest stable
version available from http://www.gnus.org/dist/gnus.tar.gz).  Should
I be using ognus-0.18.tar.gz?  Is it stable?  Packages with version
numbers much less than 1.0 usually aren't particularly stable...

Thanks,
-Emin