* Re: Setting fonts on text directly
       [not found] ` <vafwup7v2l2.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-09-27 20:02   ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2002-09-27 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> paul.moore@atosorigin.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>
>> Another approach I could use would be to hook into
>> gnus-summary-highlight-line-function, which is called after all the
>> rest of the work of highlighting is done, but that's harder than it
>> looks, as I have to post-process the formatted line then, rather than
>> working with the raw data. I'd much prefer to get the original
>> approach working...
>
> Maybe gnus-summary-highlight-line should provide for the raw data to
> be available.  Is that difficult to do?

I discovered that the most intractable problem is that
gnus-summary-highlight-line-function doesn't get called every time
(effecively, only when nothing in gnus-summary-highlight applies - or
maybe not, I lost track...) so I can't use that to do the
post-processing. I raised a bug report for that.

Gross hacks work:
1. Set a custom property on the text I want to highlight (pfm-font,
   say)
2. Write something to go through the current line, setting text font
   properties from pfm-font.
3. Hack gnus-summary-highlight - pull out its function definition, and
   redefine it as its old definition, followed by the thing from (2).

Of course, if I ever actually wrote something like that, I'd probably
have to shoot myself afterwards :-)

OK, I have a solution. Whether I can actally face using it is another
matter :-)

One of these days I'll work out if I love or hate Lisp for letting me
do that...

Paul.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-09-27 20:02 UTC | newest]