* news server name change
@ 2009-07-02 17:38 Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2009-07-02 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

The news server that I use changed its name from
news.motzarella.org to eternal-september.org.  And I made the
corresponding change in the .authinfo file.  But apparently gnus
is trying to connect to the old server name.

Where else should I be correcting the entries and preserve my
subscriptions and stuff?

 sivaram

* Re: news server name change
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1768.1246647020.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-07-03 21:13         ` Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2009-07-03 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> groups, and that was a long agony the first time.  So I just
>> changed the two references to the old name in my files.  The result
>> was that when I first logged in I found all the groups were empty;
>> but I could live with that.  Now everything is fine.
>
> so what changes did you make and where?

In ~/.emacs:
  (setq gnus-nntp-server "news.eternal-september.org")
In ~/.authinfo:
  (machine news.eternal-september.org login joe_f force yes password *********)
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  The symptoms of actually being right when everyone else is  :||
||:  wrong are indistinguishable from those of paranoia.         :||

* Re: news server name change
@ 2009-07-03 18:50       ` Sivaram Neelakantan
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1768.1246647020.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2009-07-03 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

[snipped 15 lines]

       [not found]   ` <mailman.1702.1246560899.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-07-02 21:25     ` Joe Fineman
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1768.1246647020.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Joe Fineman @ 2009-07-02 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> writes:

> Karl Kleinpaste <invalid@kleinpaste.org> wrote:
>
>>> Where else should I be correcting the entries and preserve my
>>> subscriptions and stuff?
>
>> Look in .newsrc.eld and .gnus for references to the old name.
>
> And be careful if the name change came with a renumbering of
> the server's article database.

So I was warned by Motzarella; but I did not understand the advice
about *how* careful.  It seemed I would have to resubscribe to all my
groups, and that was a long agony the first time.  So I just changed
the two references to the old name in my files.  The result was that
when I first logged in I found all the groups were empty; but I could
live with that.  Now everything is fine.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  All men would be cowards if they durst.  :||

* Re: news server name change
@ 2009-07-02 18:54   ` Tim Landscheidt
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1702.1246560899.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2009-07-02 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Karl Kleinpaste <invalid@kleinpaste.org> wrote:

>> Where else should I be correcting the entries and preserve my
>> subscriptions and stuff?

> Look in .newsrc.eld and .gnus for references to the old name.

And be careful if the name change came with a renumbering of
the server's article database.

Tim

* Re: news server name change
       [not found] <mailman.1698.1246556354.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>