* gmail + imap - hangs when sending
@ 2009-01-15 12:40 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-01-15 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi, I hope someone can help, I've been Googling but can't find any help.

When I try to send a message via IMAP / Gmail, it appears to send but
emacs hangs. Eventually I use C-g to exit and find the following in *Messages*:

Sending...
Sending via mail...
Opening STARTTLS connection to `smtp.gmail.com'...done
221 2.0.0 closing connection d25sm194468nfh.36

Nothing is actually sent as far as I can tell (at least, nothing is
received and there are no items in 'Sent items')

The relevant bits of configuration are:

(setq starttls-use-gntls t)

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials
      (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo")
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-debug-info t)

I am using cygwin on Vista and emacs 22.3 for Windows. Not sure how to
check which gnus version...

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks, Paul

* Re: gmail + imap - hangs when sending
@ 2009-01-16 12:53 ` Manish Sharma
From: Manish Sharma @ 2009-01-16 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I hope someone can help, I've been Googling but can't find any help.
>
> When I try to send a message via IMAP / Gmail, it appears to send but
> emacs hangs. Eventually I use C-g to exit and find the following in *Messages*:
>
> Sending...
> Sending via mail...
> Opening STARTTLS connection to `smtp.gmail.com'...done
> 221 2.0.0 closing connection d25sm194468nfh.36
>
> Nothing is actually sent as far as I can tell (at least, nothing is
> received and there are no items in 'Sent items')
>
> The relevant bits of configuration are:
>
> (setq starttls-use-gntls t)
>
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>       smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>       '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
>       smtpmail-auth-credentials
>       (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo")
>       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>       smtpmail-smtp-service 587
>       smtpmail-debug-info t)
>
> I am using cygwin on Vista and emacs 22.3 for Windows. Not sure how to
> check which gnus version...
>
> Does anyone have a solution for this?

Have you tried msmtp for sending emails?

--
Manish

Life is beautiful.*
* Conditions apply.

* Re: gmail + imap - hangs when sending
@ 2009-01-16 21:10   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-01-16 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Manish Sharma <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

> Have you tried msmtp for sending emails?

No, I'd really rather not give up so soon on the current config. This
apparently works for other people, so I'd prefer to get to the bottom of
this rather than trying another app.

@ 2009-01-20  8:13     ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-01-20  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

darcsis@gmail.com (dhg::Newsfork) writes:

> Sebastian Schubert <schubert.seb@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> * On Thursday, Jan 15 2009 13:40 CET, Paul Mead wrote:
>>
>>> (setq starttls-use-gntls t)
>>>
>>> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>>>       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>>>       smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>>>       '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
>>>       smtpmail-auth-credentials
>>>       (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo")
>>>       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>>>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>>>       smtpmail-smtp-service 587
>>>       smtpmail-debug-info t)
>>
>> I'm not really an expert, but this works for me:
>>
>> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
>> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>>      '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
>> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
>> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>>       "~/.authinfo")
>>

>> and in authinfo:
>>
>> machine smtp.gmail.com login thename@gmail.com password ALMOSTGOTME port 587
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Sebastian
>
> It seems this piece of elisp code will work on some OSes but not on
> other OSes such as OpenSolaris. It is because gnutls is not default on
> these platforms?

I'm not sure about OpenSolaris, etc. I have checked that gnutls is
installed and gnutls-cli allows me to at least connect to gmail, but I
don't know enough TLS commands to be able to walk through a complete
send manually.

@ 2009-01-20  8:11   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-01-20  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

darcsis@gmail.com (dhg::Newsfork) writes:

>> (setq starttls-use-gntls t)
>
> is this a typo? should it be 'starttls-use-gnutls' ?

Yes, this was a typo. When I corrected it there was no change to the
problem.

@ 2009-01-19  4:37   ` dhg::Newsfork
From: dhg::Newsfork @ 2009-01-19  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sebastian Schubert <schubert.seb@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> * On Thursday, Jan 15 2009 13:40 CET, Paul Mead wrote:
>
>> (setq starttls-use-gntls t)
>>
>> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>>       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>>       smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>>       '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
>>       smtpmail-auth-credentials
>>       (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo")
>>       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>>       smtpmail-smtp-service 587
>>       smtpmail-debug-info t)
>
> I'm not really an expert, but this works for me:
>
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>      '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>       "~/.authinfo")
>

> and in authinfo:
>
> machine smtp.gmail.com login thename@gmail.com password ALMOSTGOTME port 587
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Sebastian

It seems this piece of elisp code will work on some OSes but not on
other OSes such as OpenSolaris. It is because gnutls is not default on
these platforms?

--
darcsis ZAI gmail DIAN com

* Re: gmail + imap - hangs when sending