* increase number of posts
@ 2005-07-27  7:43 Baloff
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-27  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello
believe me, I don't stop reading manuals these days, just to find out
the little bitty 'how to do something' some times I was a how week.

C-h a number trying to find out how to increase the number of posts in
a group. it asked me when I pointed to it and hit <RET> I typed 10,
but now I need 100.

how do I just display my posts, or specific posts of personal
interest.

don't tell me to read the manual, if you do, tell me where and make
sure it is and clearly written.

thanks

* Re: increase number of posts
@ 2005-07-27  9:22 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-07-27  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 Jul 2005 17:43:27 +1000, Baloff wrote:

> believe me, I don't stop reading manuals these days, just to find out
> the little bitty 'how to do something' some times I was a how week.

[...]

> don't tell me to read the manual, if you do, tell me where and make
> sure it is and clearly written.

*plonk*

--
 "Lawrence of Suburbia                                        Adam Sjøgren
  Real life is murder"                                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: increase number of posts
@ 2005-07-27 18:55 ` Jason Dufair
From: Jason Dufair @ 2005-07-27 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_71.html#SEC71

> and make sure it is and clearly written.

It is.

--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/

* Re: increase number of posts
@ 2005-07-27 21:52     ` Jason Dufair
From: Jason Dufair @ 2005-07-27 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:

> Jason Dufair wrote:
>> Baloff <washdc@wash.edu> writes:
>>
>>>don't tell me to read the manual, if you do, tell me where
>> http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_71.html#SEC71
>>
>>>and make sure it is and clearly written.
>> It is.
>>
> thanks, how do you find something like this in the manual? I tried C-h a
> number, post. I get nothing related, even if I thought about C-h a limit
> it would not give me that place in the manual you provided the link for.
> is there a better way to search and find thing in the manual in my box?

A few ideas:

Gnus' functions are often named after the buffer you want to do
something in.  So you can often do a C-h a summary, for example, to find
summary buffer fxns.

Also, C-h b will give you all the key bindings for the mode you're in.
You can poke around in there for interesting function names.

In the case above, I just went to the Gnus HTML manual online and looked
for summary buffer stuff.
--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."
-- Thomas Jefferson

* Re: increase number of posts
@ 2005-07-28  7:26 ` Koocy Ton
From: Koocy Ton @ 2005-07-28  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

BOY !
--
Good Good Study , Day Day Up !
              -- Koocy Ton

* Re: increase number of posts
@ 2005-07-28 13:52   ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-28 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-07-28 15:13     ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-07-28 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:

> thanks, how do you find something like this in the manual? I tried C-h a
> number, post. I get nothing related, even if I thought about C-h a limit
> it would not give me that place in the manual you provided the link for.
> is there a better way to search and find thing in the manual in my box?

For starters, C-h a isn't the Gnus manual; M-x apropos will list
variables in addition to commands, but that isn't the manual either.
Either look on the Web or in Emacs Info (C-h i g (gnus)).

  --dzm