* .authinfo is ignored on startup
@ 2005-03-13 17:46 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2005-03-13 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying a different newsserver for a while and put the needed info
in ~/.authinfo.  However, when I start gnus it still prompts me for my
uid and passwd.   I've tripple checked that its entered correctly.

I type the exact same info at the 2 prompts and get the news.  How can
I debug this?

Its on winxp and No Gnus v0.3

* Re: .authinfo is ignored on startup
@ 2005-03-15 18:26 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2005-03-15 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> I'm trying a different newsserver for a while and put the needed info
> in ~/.authinfo.  However, when I start gnus it still prompts me for my
> uid and passwd.   I've tripple checked that its entered correctly.
>
> I type the exact same info at the 2 prompts and get the news.  How can
> I debug this?
>
> Its on winxp and No Gnus v0.3

Can you show the authinfo line, edited for password, and the server
name as Gnus knows it?

I think netrc.el needs a rewrite for better logging.  I tried to do it
but didn't have the time, and the current logic has a look-ahead loop
that makes logging much more difficult than it should be.  It's not
hard to rewrite it so maybe I'll do it if no one else wants to.

Ted

* Re: .authinfo is ignored on startup
@ 2005-03-16  2:37   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2005-03-16  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>
>> I'm trying a different newsserver for a while and put the needed info
>> in ~/.authinfo.  However, when I start gnus it still prompts me for my
>> uid and passwd.   I've tripple checked that its entered correctly.
>>
>> I type the exact same info at the 2 prompts and get the news.  How can
>> I debug this?

C-x i ~/.authinfo<RET>
machine enews.newsguy.com login myuid password xxxxxxx
machine news.ind.sbclgobal.net login myuid@xxxxx.net password xxxxxxx

The first one for newsguy works as expected.
Sbcglobal requires the full email address including `@'.
I continue to get prompted for both on that server and when entered
at the prompt exactly as in authinfo it works.

* Re: .authinfo is ignored on startup
@ 2005-03-16 15:05     ` exal
From: exal @ 2005-03-16 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying a different newsserver for a while and put the needed info
>>> in ~/.authinfo.  However, when I start gnus it still prompts me for my
>>> uid and passwd.   I've tripple checked that its entered correctly.
>>>
>>> I type the exact same info at the 2 prompts and get the news.  How can
>>> I debug this?
>
> C-x i ~/.authinfo<RET>
> machine enews.newsguy.com login myuid password xxxxxxx
> machine news.ind.sbclgobal.net login myuid@xxxxx.net password xxxxxxx
>
> The first one for newsguy works as expected.
> Sbcglobal requires the full email address including `@'.
> I continue to get prompted for both on that server and when entered
> at the prompt exactly as in authinfo it works.

Look at your second entry carefully.  hint: sbclgobal....

* Re: .authinfo is ignored on startup
@ 2005-03-16 21:53       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2005-03-16 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

exal@exal.house.net writes:

>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> C-x i ~/.authinfo<RET>
>> machine enews.newsguy.com login myuid password xxxxxxx
>> machine news.ind.sbclgobal.net login myuid@xxxxx.net password xxxxxxx
>>
>> The first one for newsguy works as expected.
>> Sbcglobal requires the full email address including `@'.
>> I continue to get prompted for both on that server and when entered
>> at the prompt exactly as in authinfo it works.
>
> Look at your second entry carefully.  hint: sbclgobal....

Yikes, I must be ready for the jump from x250 to x300 in my cheaters....