* Re: HTML render like crap in Emacs/Gnus :(
       [not found] ` <adieitjz.fsf@optushome.com.au>
@ 2003-01-05 13:42   ` Ichimusai
       [not found]     ` <87wul03jrn.fsf@mail.paradoxical.net>
From: Ichimusai @ 2003-01-05 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

urfaust <urfaust@optushome.com.au> writes:

> Ichimusai <ichi@ichimusai.org> writes:
>
>> People frequently send mail to lists I am on in text/html and it
>> looks like crap in Emacs/Gnus.
>
> HTML is evil. I always delet html email.

You have that option, I don't.

> It is usually from spammers, nigerian conmen or technically
> challenged people. None of these are people I wish to recieve email
> from

You obviously are not in the situation where I am where you have
several hundred people you need to communicate with email wise and
they either have no clue what HTML is or they send my mail on to the
sysadmin who ignores it saying I am the only complaint out of everyone
they communicates with.

>> Should I install W3? Last time I tried it stopped rendering
>> completely only showing a status line with an error and then it
>> showed the raw
>
> W3 handles most html. If there is large amounts of machine generated
> ( ie : FrontPurge) Javascript, then it may barf. If that happens, it
> is simple to edit the html in Emacs until it is readable.

Which is about every mail send out from Outlook / Outlook Express
which literally everyone in a corporated environment uses. Sigh.

It's not even proper HTML. It is MSHTML.

I could just edit it myself if I saw the HTML code, but I never see
the HTML. When I press enter on it in the summary it is rendered and I
can't seem to be able to display it raw somewhere. All I see is a
mail, it is rendered, the font is changed into some ariel shite, the
quoted material and the new material are all reflowed into a soup that
is impossible to discern.

It does not make new paragraphs on a <p> it does not end lines on a
<blockquot>. If it just left it alone it would be fine, but I do not
know how to turn it off. I makes a bloody mess of everything not plain
text, there is something cheesy going on as well when people use MIME
in news but I have no idea what is happening.

--
AA #769 ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai AOL: Ichimusai1972 MSN: Ichimusai
IRC: Ichimusai#AmigaSWE@IRCnet URL: http://www.ichimusai.org/

* Re: HTML render like crap in Emacs/Gnus :(
       [not found] ` <87vg13smd0.fsf@kuntu.zangpo.org>
@ 2003-01-05 14:45   ` Adam P.
From: Adam P. @ 2003-01-05 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Schmitz <dosenfleisch@gmx.de> writes:

> Ichimusai <ichi@ichimusai.org> writes:
>
>> Should I install W3?
>
> Look at the variable mm-text-html-renderer

[...]

> I prefer w3m. It's fast and beautiful.

I'd suggest the same but, if the OP uses NTEmacs, things might be a
little bit more complicated as w3m is an external program.  I haven't
been using MS Windows for some time, so I am not sure whether this is
a problem.

I do remember, though, that under Windows I had the value of
mm-text-html-renderer set to 'lynx and 'links (both installed together
with cygwin) and that one of them (don't remember which one) produced
reasonable even if not entirely satisfactory results.

     Adam

--
Name and address in X-Real...

* Re: HTML render like crap in Emacs/Gnus :(
       [not found]   ` <uptrbwwgn.fsf@ichimusai.org>
@ 2003-01-05 15:16     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-05 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ichimusai <ichi@ichimusai.org> writes:

> Does this rendered work better with mails send in HTML spew then the
> W3 does? Can you controll it via style sheets?

Often, I don't notice that I'm looking at HTML mails.  I mistake them
for text/plain.

I think that's a pretty high praise for an HTML renderer.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: HTML render like crap in Emacs/Gnus :(
@ 2003-01-05 15:35       ` Ichimusai
From: Ichimusai @ 2003-01-05 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Ichimusai <ichi@ichimusai.org> writes:
>
>> Does this rendered work better with mails send in HTML spew then the
>> W3 does? Can you controll it via style sheets?
>
> Often, I don't notice that I'm looking at HTML mails.  I mistake them
> for text/plain.
>
> I think that's a pretty high praise for an HTML renderer.

Definitely. Okay, I am convinced, I am going to check that out.

--

@ 2003-01-19 21:46       ` Lucas
       [not found]       ` <m33cnov8kv.fsf@defun.localdomain>
From: Lucas @ 2003-01-19 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Ichimusai <ichi@ichimusai.org> writes:
>
> It seems like the only way to get formatted PLAIN TEXT to show up
> correctly in Outlook is to send HTML?  That seems incredibly broken to
> me.

What seems incredible to me is that some people still use Outlook ^^

--
Loi de la Non-Recherche

Pour retrouver un objet, il faut en chercher un autre.

@ 2003-01-20  5:10         ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2003-01-20  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duh, perhaps I should read the message before replying. Thanks for
the
information about use-hard-newlines...you can ignore my previous
reply
:)

--
Josh Huber