* How to recreate groups for nnml mail directory?
@ 2006-09-27 10:21 Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2006-09-27 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I used gnus for a couple of years now and I'm very
satisfied. Actually I'm on a MSW XP prof station with GNU Emacs 21.3.1
and Gnus v5.10.6.

I use mailsplit to distribute incoming emails to nnml frontend
folders, as I like the one file for one email solution. So eg. I have
the nnml:mail.test group, which correspondents with the directory
~/Mail/mail/test, where gnus stores the email files.

Now I've just moved to a new machine and completely messed up my
.newsrc and newsrc.eld files. But, no problem, I'm starting from
scratch again and my emails are still there in the mail directory.

I can recreate the email group with the G m command in the group
buffer and everthing is fine. But over time I created more than 250
email directories. So, typing in all group names for all email dirs
would be quite some work.

I wonder, if anybody out there knows an easier way to recreate the
email groups in the group buffer from the directory listing.

If not, I think about to use this approach:
- get a directory listing in a buffer (shell-command ls)
- use the dirnames to write a lisp routine like
  (gnus-group-make-group "mail.test" "nnml:")

Before I do that, I wonder if you could tell me a more direct and
gnus-like way to get back my email groups.

Cheers
Rudiger
--
Achtung, dieses Posting ist mit sublimalen Werbeeinblendungen hinterlegt.
( version )

* Re: How to recreate groups for nnml mail directory?
@ 2006-09-27 11:53 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2006-09-27 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is the old "active" file there? If so, you can copy your old mail dirs
to ~/Mail (need check to avoid duplicate dir), and add content from old
active file into your new active file. You can put all old mail dirs to
a subdir (say oldback), and then you can edit old active file to add
"oldback." to each group name, and then paste the content into new
active file, and then you can browse these groups to move messages to
other group(s) (using 'B m').

HTH

* Re: How to recreate groups for nnml mail directory?
@ 2006-09-27 13:30   ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2006-09-27 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> Is the old "active" file there?

Well, on this MS Windows XP pro installation this information seems to
be stored in the .newsrc.eld file. I've not found an active file.

> If so, you can copy your old mail dirs
> to ~/Mail (need check to avoid duplicate dir), and add content from old
> active file into your new active file. You can put all old mail dirs to
> a subdir (say oldback), and then you can edit old active file to add
> "oldback." to each group name, and then paste the content into new
> active file, and then you can browse these groups to move messages to
> other group(s) (using 'B m').

Sounds like a lot of work with more than 250 mail dirs. ;-)

I solved the problem now by editing the .newsrc.eld file:

- 'C-u ESC-x shell-command-on-region ls ~/Mail/mail'
  (to get listing of my email dirs into the .newsrc.eld file)

- now I wrote a keyboard macro to change the dirnames into group
  entries, eg.:

  adrian_otto

  ("nnml:mail.adrian_otto" 3 nil nil "nnml:")

- then I used apply-macro-to-region-lines to convert all lines with
  dirnames

That did the trick for me. But I still wonder, if there is a simple
gnus command to do this.

Cheers,
Rudiger

* Re: How to recreate groups for nnml mail directory?
@ 2006-09-27 13:42     ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2006-09-27 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es> writes:

> CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is the old "active" file there?

> Well, on this MS Windows XP pro installation this information seems to
> be stored in the .newsrc.eld file. I've not found an active file.

Ups, I just found the active file in the ~/Mail directory, which I
have to edit (instead of .newsrc.eld).

Cheers,
Rudger

* Re: How to recreate groups for nnml mail directory?
@ 2006-09-27 14:31 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-09-27 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 27 2006, Rud1ger Sch1erz wrote:

> I can recreate the email group with the G m command in the group
> buffer and everthing is fine. But over time I created more than 250
> email directories. So, typing in all group names for all email dirs
> would be quite some work.

`M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET':

,----[ (info "(gnus)Mail Spool") ]
|    If your `nnml' groups and NOV files get totally out of whack, you
| can do a complete update by typing `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases'.
| This command will trawl through the entire `nnml' hierarchy, looking at
| each and every article, so it might take a while to complete.  A better
| interface to this functionality can be found in the server buffer
| (*note Server Commands::).
`----

Gnus should automatically subscribe all nnml group on startup, see
(info "(gnus)Filtering New Groups"), or when you use `F'
(`gnus-group-find-new-groups').

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to recreate groups for nnml mail directory?
@ 2006-09-27 15:58   ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2006-09-27 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET':

I knew, there was something like that!