From: Matthias Rempe <mhrempe@web.de>
Subject: Re: gnumapi
Date: 13 Sep 2003 00:45:22 +0200	[thread overview]

    PM> Bill Harris <bill_harris@facilitatedsystems.com> writes:
    >> Thanks!  That looks relatively straightforward.  I just need to
    >> remember where Windows finds DLLs and then take a few minutes
    >> to make it happen.

    PM> You can actually just configure the action for the mailto:
    PM> URL. In Windows XP, open Explorer. Choose Tools/Folder
    PM> Options. Select the "File Types" tab, and search for the
    PM> "URL:MailTo Protocol" entry.  Click on "Advanced", and edit
    PM> the "open" action.

A similar approach is possible for Gnu Emacs, too. And in fact, just
to be able to call Emacs as action for "mailto:" in your browser you
wouldn't need GnuMAPI.

However, GnuMAPI gives you the possibility to send files with Emacs
directly from the application with that you are working on that
file. For example, when you have opened a file in Word you can use the
"File/Send to/Mail recipient (as Attachment) [sorry for maybe bad
translation, I have just a Word with German menu available]" menu
entry and Emacs is invoked with a new message window with that file
attached.

This works for all Windows applications that offer a "File/Send" or
"File/Send to" menu entry.

--
Matthias