* Can't show up x-faces on WinXP installation
@ 2006-11-30 21:21 Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2006-11-30 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

just got an emacs version from sourceforge, which can handle images
now. I've got compface 1.5.2 from sourceforge, too. And icon2pbm.

Anyway, I can't manage, to see the x-face, like on my linux box. I see
face, but no x-fach. :-/

MSwindows XPpro
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-06-26 on NONIQPC
Gnus v5.11

I don't get any error message, just the x-face doesn't show up.

Any idea?

Cheers,
Rudiger

* No x-faces with emacs 22.0 on XPpro Was: Can't show up x-faces on WinXP installation
@ 2006-12-11 21:02 ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2006-12-11 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well,

as I've got no responses in gnu.emacs.gnus, I'll try it at
gnu.emacs.help. By any chance there is a kind soul, who could assist
me to tackle down the problem. Seem's to be rather an
emacs-images-problem, than a gnus problem.

Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> just got an emacs version from sourceforge, which can handle images
> now. I've got compface 1.5.2 from sourceforge, too. And icon2pbm.
>
> Anyway, I can't manage, to see the x-face, like on my linux box. I see
> face, but no x-fach. :-/
>
> MSwindows XPpro
> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-06-26 on NONIQPC
> Gnus v5.11
>
> I don't get any error message, just the x-face doesn't show up.
>
> Any idea?

Fup2: gnu.emacs.help

Cheers,
Rudiger

* Re: Can't show up x-faces on WinXP installation
@ 2006-12-11 22:49 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-11 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 30 2006, Rud1ger Sch1erz wrote:

> just got an emacs version from sourceforge, which can handle images
> now. I've got compface 1.5.2 from sourceforge, too. And icon2pbm.
>
> Anyway, I can't manage, to see the x-face, like on my linux box. I see
> face, but no x-fach. :-/
>
> MSwindows XPpro
> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-06-26 on NONIQPC
> Gnus v5.11

Please don't use outdated CVS versions.  There are current version on
<http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html> and I heard that there
will be Windows binaries for the pretest versions on
<ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/> soon.

,----[ (info "(gnus)X-Face") ]
|    Viewing an `X-Face' header either requires an Emacs that has
| `compface' support (which most XEmacs versions has), or that you
| have suitable conversion or display programs installed.  If your
| Emacs has image support the default action is to display the face
| before the `From' header.  If there's no native `X-Face' support,
| Gnus will try to convert the `X-Face' header using external programs
| from the `pbmplus' package and friends.  [...]  The default action
| under Emacs without image support is to fork off the `display'
| program.
|
|    On a GNU/Linux system, the `display' program is from the ImageMagick
| package.  For external conversion programs look for packages with names
| like `netpbm', `libgr-progs' and `compface'.
`----

I don't have a windows to test it, but by looking at the code it seems
that you need to install windows versions of the uncompface and
icontopbm executables.  If a windows user could provide us concrete
information (download URLs, ...), we could improve the manual.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Can't show up x-faces on WinXP installation
@ 2006-12-12 16:35   ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2006-12-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Please don't use outdated CVS versions.  There are current version on
> <http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html> and I heard that there
> will be Windows binaries for the pretest versions on
> <ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/> soon.

Didn't find this before. I thought, the sourceforge version is the
newest available on W32. Anyway, I've pulled the newest build from
ourcomments.org and X-Face support works fine with this version. So,
my problem is solved.

[...]
> I don't have a windows to test it, but by looking at the code it seems
> that you need to install windows versions of the uncompface and
> icontopbm executables.

Yes, I knew that already and installed it on my machine, as I wrote in
my first message.

> If a windows user could provide us concrete
> information (download URLs, ...), we could improve the manual.

I use compface-1.5.2 from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/compface.htm

It comes as a W32 install kit: compface-1.5.2.exe

icontopbm can be found in Netpbm tools found at:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/netpbm.htm

It comes also as a W32 install kit: netpbm-10.27.exe

After installing the packages by just starting the executables, you
have to extend the PATH environment variable on your system to allow
emacs, to find them. Normally they install in:
c:\programme\gnuwin32\bin

HTH,

@ 2006-12-12 22:21     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-12 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 12 2006, Rud1ger Sch1erz wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> I don't have a windows to test it, but by looking at the code it seems
>> that you need to install windows versions of the uncompface and
>> icontopbm executables.
>
> Yes, I knew that already and installed it on my machine, as I wrote in
> my first message.

Ah, I missed this.

>> If a windows user could provide us concrete
>> information (download URLs, ...), we could improve the manual.
>
> I use compface-1.5.2 from
> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/compface.htm
>
> It comes as a W32 install kit: compface-1.5.2.exe
>
> icontopbm can be found in Netpbm tools found at:
> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/netpbm.htm
>
> It comes also as a W32 install kit: netpbm-10.27.exe
>
> After installing the packages by just starting the executables, you
> have to extend the PATH environment variable on your system to allow
> emacs, to find them. Normally they install in:
> c:\programme\gnuwin32\bin

Thanks.  I added the following information:

,----[ (info "(gnus)X-Face") ]
| On Windows, you may use the packages `netpbm' and `compface' from
| <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net>.  You need to add the `bin'
| directory to your `PATH' environment variable.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Can't show up x-faces on WinXP installation
@ 2006-12-13  8:39       ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2006-12-13  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks.  I added the following information:
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)X-Face") ]
> | On Windows, you may use the packages `netpbm' and `compface' from
> | <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net>.  You need to add the `bin'
> | directory to your `PATH' environment variable.
> `----

Fine.

Cheers
Rudiger