* Re: Automatically handling different flavors of encoding?
       [not found]   ` <ugidvl6armnb7@news.supernews.com>
@ 2002-06-14 20:09     ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2002-06-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net> writes:

> but only if guessing is indicated, i.e., there is no charset specifier in
> the content-type mime header or it's a non-mime message.

MIME content-type header only applies to message/article bodies, which
in the case of the cited article only contains 7-bit ASCII
characters. The ß is in the header, so it is encoded using RFC2047,
and Kai's articles specify iso-8859-15.

* Re: Automatically handling different flavors of encoding?
@ 2002-06-15  9:58       ` those who know me have no need of my name
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-06-15  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:
>those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net>
>writes:

>> but only if guessing is indicated, i.e., there is no charset specifier in
>> the content-type mime header or it's a non-mime message.
>
>MIME content-type header only applies to message/article bodies, which
>in the case of the cited article only contains 7-bit ASCII
>characters. The ß is in the header, so it is encoded using RFC2047,
>and Kai's articles specify iso-8859-15.

quite correct.  i typed `i.e.' but i meant `e.g.'.