* one newsgroup behaving odd
@ 2007-12-20 18:26 alans-computer.local
From: alans-computer.local @ 2007-12-20 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I use Gnus for usenet and have had this problem for months where
all my newsgroups work except for alt.zines. Alt.zines is always
shown as having 0 new articles. If I select it and hit the space
bar it says 'How many articles from alt.zines (default 27381):'
If I type 10, 100, 10000, or 20000 I just get one article from
10-Jun-07. If I go with the default, or even a figure slightly
less than the default, I see the articles I've been missing all
along. Any ideas anyone?

* Re: one newsgroup behaving odd
@ 2007-12-21  3:22 ` Allan
From: Allan @ 2007-12-21  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

gerryorchard@iol.ie (alans-computer.local) writes:

> I use Gnus for usenet and have had this problem for months where
> all my newsgroups work except for alt.zines. Alt.zines is always
> shown as having 0 new articles. If I select it and hit the space
> bar it says 'How many articles from alt.zines (default 27381):'
> If I type 10, 100, 10000, or 20000 I just get one article from
> 10-Jun-07. If I go with the default, or even a figure slightly
> less than the default, I see the articles I've been missing all
> along. Any ideas anyone?
Have you tried killing the NG "alt.zines" and then resubscribing? This may reset the counters for you. I am getting used to using gnus lately for certain NGs but I have not had this problem.

--
Allan

* Re: one newsgroup behaving odd
@ 2007-12-21 20:50   ` alans-computer.local
From: alans-computer.local @ 2007-12-21 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Allan <mu8ja0i@earthlink.net> writes:

> Have you tried killing the NG "alt.zines" and then resubscribing?
> This may reset the counters for you. I am getting used to using gnus
> lately for certain NGs but I have not had this problem.
>
> --
> Allan

Well I've tried going into the .newsrc file and deleting the alt.zines
line then opening up Gnus and pulling in alt.zines (j key) then subscribing
to it. It looked ok, with a couple of hundred unread articles. I marked
them as read ('catchup') so the counter went to 0. But then the problem
went back to exactly as I described. E.g., I press space, it asks me how
many articles I want, I type a number and I only get one article.
(The one from 10-June called 'In my mailbox' or something)
I wonder could that article be blocking up the newsgroup.

* Re: one newsgroup behaving odd
@ 2007-12-22  0:45     ` Allan
From: Allan @ 2007-12-22  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Something sounds wrong since if there are no new messages you should not see the group listed at all. What happens when you select "Groups|Listing|List (un)subscribed groups" ? Does the group show as having a "U" in the far left column? ; if so toggle it with "u".To kill a group in the list you just type `c-k" on the line that it appears. You should not have to edit the .newsrc file directly.

--
Allan

* Re: one newsgroup behaving odd
@ 2007-12-23 15:27       ` alans-computer.local
From: alans-computer.local @ 2007-12-23 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Allan <mu8ja0i@earthlink.net> writes:

> Something sounds wrong since if there are no new messages you should not see the group listed at all. What happens when you select "Groups|Listing|List (un)subscribed groups" ? Does the group show as having a "U" in the far left column? ; if so toggle it with "u".To kill a group in the list you just type `c-k" on the line that it appears. You should not have to edit the .newsrc file directly.
>
> --
> Allan
OK I've tried all that and tried killing the group and even
killed one called nntp.drafts anyway it's still the same.
I suppose this problem is unique to me. I go on google groups
to read alt.zines. All the others ngs work in gnus.
Maybe some day that message from 10-June will expire

* Re: one newsgroup behaving odd
@ 2007-12-25 16:56         ` Allan
From: Allan @ 2007-12-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sorry you could not resolve it. I have one MS newsgroup I am subscribed to that does not update properly in Outlook Express. It may have to do with the nntp server and not gnus at all. Try using another newsreader, even T-bird or Eudora. I don't use Google Groups at all except for an archive search occasionally.

--
Allan