* toggle visible groups under a topic?
@ 2005-12-08 20:58 leon
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: leon @ 2005-12-08 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Here is a thought:

Gnus hide the groups with no tick, dormant, new articles. When I want to
post to a hidden group. I usually hit 'L' and look for the group and
post to it. Is there a better way?

Can anyone cook a elisp function to toggle visible groups under current
topic in group buffer.

Thank you.
--
.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
.     *                               .

* Re: toggle visible groups under a topic?
@ 2005-12-08 21:20 ` Sébastien Kirche
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-12-08 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 21:12 on déc 8 2005, leon said :

> Gnus hide the groups with no tick, dormant, new articles. When I want
> to post to a hidden group. I usually hit 'L' and look for the group
> and post to it. Is there a better way?

You can prevent a group to hide by adding a (visible . t) in its
parameters (G p).

If the parameters are nil, use a ((visible . t)).

HTH.
--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: toggle visible groups under a topic?
@ 2005-12-08 21:56 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-12-08 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 08 2005, leon wrote:

> When I want to post to a hidden group. I usually hit 'L' and look
> for the group and post to it. Is there a better way?

I use `j' a lot:

,----[ `C-h k j' ]
| j runs the command gnus-group-jump-to-group
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-group.el'.
| It is bound to j, <menu-bar> <Groups> <Move> <Jump to group...>.
| (gnus-group-jump-to-group GROUP &optional PROMPT)
|
| Jump to newsgroup GROUP.
|
| If PROMPT (the prefix) is a number, use the prompt specified in
| `gnus-group-jump-to-group-prompt'.
|
| [back]
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: toggle visible groups under a topic?
@ 2005-12-08 22:00 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-12-08 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Gnus hide the groups with no tick, dormant, new articles. When I
> want to post to a hidden group. I usually hit 'L' and look for the
> group and post to it. Is there a better way?

Type 'j' and enter the group name explicitly (with tab completion)?

> Can anyone cook a elisp function to toggle visible groups under
> current topic in group buffer.

Huh, there doesn't seem to be one built in...

  --dzm

* Re: toggle visible groups under a topic?
@ 2005-12-08 23:18   ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2005-12-08 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

> At 21:12 on déc 8 2005, leon said :
>
>> Gnus hide the groups with no tick, dormant, new articles. When I want
>> to post to a hidden group. I usually hit 'L' and look for the group
>> and post to it. Is there a better way?
>
> You can prevent a group to hide by adding a (visible . t) in its
> parameters (G p).
>
> If the parameters are nil, use a ((visible . t)).

I use this in my [EMAIL] topic. But for the [NEWS] it will make the
buffer too messy. Anyway, thanks.

Don't you think a command to hide/unhide groups under a topic is
useful?

Cheers,
Leon

* Re: toggle visible groups under a topic?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-12-09  7:30 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-12-09  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Gnus hide the groups with no tick, dormant, new articles. When I
> want to post to a hidden group. I usually hit 'L' and look for the
> group and post to it. Is there a better way?

C-u RET on the topic heading?

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: toggle visible groups under a topic?
@ 2005-12-09 18:41   ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2005-12-09 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Gnus hide the groups with no tick, dormant, new articles. When I
>> want to post to a hidden group. I usually hit 'L' and look for the
>> group and post to it. Is there a better way?
>
> C-u RET on the topic heading?

It's the same as 'L' which opens all the groups under all topics.

--
Leon